Next Round of Realignment Will Be Very Disruptive

LOL! Been there. Did that for way too long!

What does Illinois football average in attendance? Also, Nebraska is not even a good example to use. The ENTIRE state views them like our city does the Texans. They are a blue blood with a long history.

They did get 46k for homecoming but average 28k or so but law would know

1 Like

It seems like they get big attendance numbers for bigger name teams, which I think is similar to how we do for big name teams. That article even states that they drew 21,000 for a home game with UTSA (which they lost). I’m certain that we will exceed that attendance number.

Average game day attendance in CFB is in the low forties. The TAMU’s, Bama’s, UT’s, OU’s , OSU, UM’s amongst a few others of CFB are the gold standard in game day attendance. If your pulling 40k you are doing good considering even some NFL teams have poor game day attendance.

1 Like

Right. But we’re talking about the Big Ten and attendance in that conference compared to UH. Also, our attendance numbers will go up by being in the Big 12.

Y’all don’t really think it will break into 30-40 “BRANDS” playing football, right?

I’d quit watching ALL COLLEGE FOOTBALL before I’d pick one of the “P2” unis to cheer for… And watch.

2 Likes

Also, Suck it Rutgers!

1 Like

I still remember that amazing one handed catch by Greenberry in the end zone.

5 Likes

Illinois, being a B1G parasite, does not have super good attendance.

In 2022, they averaged about 44.8K per game in the 60K seat Memorial Stadium.

That’s more than UH of course, but well behind Rutgers and FAR behind Nebraska.

This, despite the fact that they all play a similar B1G schedule.

So you see, contrary to what @Pollardsvision thinks, it isn’t simply about who you play.

Give UH the same schedule, and we’d still average way less than all of them, I’m guessing. We’d average more than we did in the AAC, for sure, but still less than those.

Illinois got 37K for its Wyoming game. That game would have drawn 20K in Houston.

The painful truth is, our football brand is simply SMALLER than any B1G school except maybe Northwestern, which is why I’m not too optimistic about us getting an invite there, even when we attain AAU status.

I will say this in Illinois’ defense though.

Their basketball brand is stronger than most.

They average about 15K per home basketball game; more than TWICE UH.

At least in that sport, they aren’t a parasite.

This brand size thing is also why I don’t see Stanford ever joining the B1G.

They’d be almost last in football attendance and DEAD LAST in basketball attendance by a wide margin. The ULTIMATE parasite.

Very small brand.

That’s good, that’s puts them above the average attendance for division I.

Official NCAA data shows that average FBS attendance increased 5% last season to 41,840 fans per game .

I think folks have misconception about UH attendance. Over the years UH averaged 22k in the last 5 years number 73 in the nation. But I believe we have the biggest upside for attendance depending on program success and now with natural rivals.

https://collegefootballnews.com/rankings/college-football-attendance-rankings-2023-five-year-program-analysis

which is the whole reasoning behind a P2 or P3…filter in top match-ups with optimal interest IN and Out of the stadium

Read that article. It states that although distributed tickets were high, the turnstile count was much lower and they actually averaged around 28,000. That’s a Big Ten team too. As far as basketball attendance goes, if Duke checked all of the boxes (AAU, good football etc.) you don’t think the Big Ten would accept them just because their arena and attendance is half the size of Illinois? And even with Illinois’s supposed “basketball brand”, UH still knocked them off in the tourney.

1 Like

Read that article about Illinois’s attendance. His point was that Big Ten teams don’t have bad attendance, making UH’s entry unlikely. ( I don’t think UH will enter that conference anyways) but yet Illinois’s attendance isn’t all that great.

1 Like

I NEVER said that B1G teams necessarily don’t have bad attendance.

NW and Maryland definitely DON’T have good attendance.

And Illinois’ attendance isn’t super good either, as I said.

The B1G has A LOT of parasites.

That said, UH’s attendance is well below that of some of those parasites, like Rutgers.

That’s why I don’t see UH being invited.

The B1G already has enough parasites.

Schools like NW and Illinois are really just lucky to have been CHARTER members of the B1G.

Both probably would NOT be invited today.

As for Duke, I’ve always said that the B1G MIGHT taken them.

Not sure their football brand is big enough, but they fit the B1G profile for academics, and have a very strong basketball brand.

Honestly no one will know where CFB will be 8-14 yrs from now. UH could have made AAU by then considering having AAU conference mates can help you achieve that goal, B12 has 5 conference mates who are now, which will do nothing but help trying to achieve AAU status, ask the Ducks if it hurt being in the PAC to achieve AAU who’s research is way less than UH. UH could be avg 50k per game attendance. Who knows?

P.S. UH is perceived as the 3rd major research public U in Texas. It will only get better for UH.

1 Like

As long as 3 essential power conferences exist and the Big 12 has autonomy / CFP access, then i really don’t care about being in the “power 2”.

There are plenty of good brands in the current Big 12 to keep us relevant in the overall landscape. However, if relegation happens or the best brands from the power 2 consolidate to form an entirely new conference, then that’s where we will have problems

2 Likes

But you’re comparing them with years of being in the Big Ten as compared to UH’s situation. I think attendance for UH will go up significantly just being in the Big 12. As for Duke, I only made that comparison because you said Illinois basketball’s attendance is what makes their brand so good in the Big Ten. I don’t care whether they get invited there or not. Lastly, I think the Big Ten is overrated anyways, so I don’t care if UH goes there.
I’ll end the conversation there. Sometimes, I forget whether I’m talking to the commissioner of the Big Ten with how much fervor and admiration that you have for that conference. Lol

1 Like

Our attendance might go up from that. We’ll see. Will it go up enough to make us of interested to the B1G? I dunno!

As I said, were Illinois not a charter member of the B1G…they probably wouldn’t be.

They would likely not get an invite today.

Rutgers still might though, awful though they usually are, simply because a) they double us up in football attendance, making them a bigger, if not better, brand, AND b) are in a market twice the size of ours…as I told pollardsvision above.