Next Round of Realignment Will Be Very Disruptive

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy

Nebraska AD Trev Alberts tells

@Amie_Just

there will be more expansion. “History is unkind to conferences that have not had the courage to expand. I don’t believe it’s done. It’s never been done. It’s more likely than not that there will be continued periods of angst. I believe that the next go-around - that’s my basic conclusion - will be far more disruptive than anything we’re currently engaged in. We need to prepare ourselves mentally for that

1 Like

I don’t think the next biggest threat to the entire landscape is the next round of realignment. That’s going to happen regardless I agree.

The biggest threat is “relegation

Meaning - if power conferences either vote out unwanted teams, or big brand teams agree to form their own conferences to get around legal implications of adding/removing teams

6 Likes

I wonder if that would open them up for anti-trust lawsuits.

1 Like

The first time USC makes that 12 hour trip to Columbus to get stomped by Ohio State then makes that 12 hour trip back to LA I wonder if they will be so happy then?

1 Like

12 hour trip dude its 2023 thats a 3 hr flight at most.

12 Likes

Memphis is AAU now? :joy:

4 Likes

They play AAU in the summer, does that count?

1 Like

`It’s about 4 hrs from LA to Columbus by charter. USC and UCLA will fly charter.

1 Like

You’ll already be at 20 teams or near it as it is - how bad can it be honestly from now unless your saying the next realignment will cut access off for everyone not at a certain level across the board?

Or he’s saying let’s help everyone and those that have major potential and can bring something to the table will get propped up into p5 so they can level the playing field?

I think we’ve learned ADs have very little say in this.

It’s the Presidents, BoR, and commissioners calling the shots here.

The ADs are just hoping their rumors are correct.

Those Presidents lean on there AD’s for guidance on realignment as well as a bag of consultants they all rely, Gene Smith the Buckeyes AD is one of the most powerful AD’s in all of CFB, OSU President relies on him a lot. They don’t make the decisions true, but there very influential and how Presidents look at realignment and certain schools.

They must think it stands for something else.

1 Like

I believe that there will come a point when the super conferences will look at what the ncaa is getting from the tournament and ask why? If the big ten and sec merged with the big east basketball and said adios to the ncaa and start their own organization, everyone would try to join.

I think this recent PAC debacle showed us they hardly relied on the ADs at all.

2 Likes

Exactly

I’m happy as hell to be in the Big 12.

However, I do think we should use this opportunity to continue to win in basketball & football and positions ourselves well for the next round of realignment.

Houston is a major market, in Texas. If UH becomes AAU, there’s a good chance the Big 10 May consider us down the line if they want a presence in Texas.

Of course a lot needs to happen before it’s even considered, but it’s possible.I truly think we are a sleeping giant who is finally on a level playing field after decades.

There’s no reason we can’t be on par or better than Tortilla Tech or Baylor

1 Like
2 Likes

Texas and Texas A&M own the Houston market, so I agree that our best chance at surviving the supposed “Power 2” will definitely be in the B1G.

That being said, I don’t think we’ll reach AAU status by 2030, and getting an invite will require exponentially increased fan support. I’m hoping we can achieve both quickly.

1 Like

The other 8 hours would be in LA traffic going to and from the airport.

7 Likes

They play AAU style all year long.

1 Like