Which Coogs are coming back?

I honestly said it early on; when we were playing our noncon against lower comp- we saw old Dame. But the level of competition increased and he seemed to take a step back.

Hopefully if he comes back he gets another off season of work with the staff and he can get his confidence back to what he used to be. Because that dame was one that could have lead us when we needed it Friday!

I hope coach builds a deep team like he used to when we made it to the Final Four and Elite 8. Even some of the Corey Davis teams were lethal on offense.

This year’s team just had a major drop off after the top 8 players.

And we lost 2 for the season.

2 Likes

——-Pearlandus Aquinas

5 Likes

We lost 2 guys for the season to injury. The depth isn’t going to sustain that.

We had depth this year. We just had injuries.

2 Likes

Scorers, scorers and more scorers. The defense can be taught but finding bucket getters should be just as important.

4 Likes

How hard we play and style of it, it would be smart then to have a deeper bench because no one is immune to injury. Plus it doesn’t hurt to give them a bit of more rest.

Maybe avoid some of these season ending injuries like a stress fracture.

1 Like

Again, we did this year. In the portal era, it’s nearly impossible to be deeper than we were at the beginning of the year.

Guys aren’t sticking around to be the 10th or 11th guy on the team in case a few guys get hurt.

3 Likes

Even when UH ran plays for Dunn, like Temple, his shooting percentage was off.

2022-23 FG% 41.1%
2023-24 FG% 35.9%

2022-23 3pt% 34.8%
2023-24 3pt% 31.7%

Based on his 2022-23 stats, I can see why CKS brought him in. CKS had first hand knowledge of his game, he was an older player and CKS thought he fit the culture. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

The defense and culture can be taught but not everyone wants to do it.

5 Likes

@CoogGrad16

Tramon Mark

Emanuel Sharp

Im sure Mark has worked on his 3pt shot.

But only made (39) last yr. (36) threes this yr.

Emanuel his percentages need to better. But he stretched the defense. With his range, with his willingness to take 3s. That opened up driving lanes for Shead.

With Mark, teams could pack it in. And dare Mark to shoot open 3s. Which is not his game.

2 Likes

Assuming everyone we offer wants to do it, they should ALSO be able to score.

Amen is not playing point.

2 Likes

I don’t think Shead is good enough to push FVV for his job.

Shead will have to be drafted to a bad team for him to get opportunities for playing time.

It’s not like we don’t have any scorers. We are a defense first team and always will be. But we had a solid offense this year.

1 Like

Some key deadlines per the NCAA:

April 18, 2024: Deadline for applying to Undergraduate Advisory Committee
April 27, 2024: NBA early entry deadline
May 10 through May 12, 2024: G League Elite Camp
May 12-19, 2024: NBA Combine
May 29, 2024: NCAA Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline
June 16, 2024: NBA Early Entry Withdrawal
June 26-27, 2024: NBA Draft

2 Likes

Some coaching styles aren’t for everyone. I think Dunn, made mistakes, got subbed out for those mistakes and lost his confidence

A little bit similar to Nick Timberlake at Kansas. Not the player he was last yr

I will say this. We all talk about “successful transfers” here.

Grimes- 1st yr wasn’t great. High and lows.

Mylik & Gorham - redshirted their 1st yr here. That typically helps.

Kyler, Taze, Carlton- we hit on all 3. But thru injuries all 3 were starters. I think its tough, to transfer in & be a bench/role player 1st yr

Kyler could handle it, cause he was coached hard by Chris Beard.

But, i think, Taze Moore, would’ve had some struggles as a role player. He transfers over, and now hes getting subbed out for missing a defensive switch. Thats our culture. You give up an easy basket. You’re subbed out.

Dunn, defensively was not good. Needed alot work, which mentally impacted his offense. Too much thinking is his head.

2 Likes

This is it right here. Because Dunn used to be unconscious. He had no fear. For good or bad he was going to go down being the aggressor. But this year he just did not have that confidence. Kept pump faking ghost and foul hunting. He tried hard tho so I will always appreciate him for what he did here

5 Likes

His role also changed mid-season when TA went out. It’s tough enough to learn a new role on a new team, but shifting gears in December made it tougher.

His 3 point shot looks good off the catch and shoot - not so much off the dribble.

I could see him taking a big step if he comes back next year. He has some skills that will fit what Sampson wants to do.

1 Like

A little because I think Texas or Kansas would love to have him. But no I don’t lose any sleep over what college kids do.
I think Shead would stay here and get a little well deserved pay hike

1 Like

I really can’t wait for Shead to announce so we don’t have to read all the wishcasting

2 Likes