Which Coogs are coming back?

Yes but he still a first round. Clyde was multi skilled at so many things.
He got most of his points on dunks and put backs.
His foot speed and offensive rebounding along made him a first round pick.
He was also solid at the charity stripe so teams figured he would come around as an outside shooter.
And guess what?

1 Like

Pretty sure there was no 3 point line in college when Glide played. He was still a first round pick in my mind.
He was the best offensive rebounding forward to ever play here.

Not saying he wasn’t a first rounder, but there were questions about his game. No there wasn’t a 3 line in college. So those scouting him were unsure if he could adjust and hit the 3 pt. Personally I was pissed when the Rockets didn’t take Clyde. Rockets probably have 4-5 Championship if not more imo if they had taken him.

To not select Glide was stupid. When he finally got home we all saw how the team evolved. It is no wonder that the Rockets ownership was butting heads with Dream.

Do we still have a semi-consensus that only Cryer and Roberts return?

If so that gives Sampson one open scholarship and speculation is about Dedan Thomas getting it as a Transfer.

1 Like

I can’t fault the Rockets for drafting McCray. Less flashy than Clyde but solid. Clyde really blossomed into a superstar at Portland.

That seems to be where everyone is at. TA is our wild card currently. Speculation is that he might go to the portal.

2 Likes

When is TA gonna be healthy?

It’s about 5 months with the I’m assuming top tier rehab he should be getting ready to start some level of light athletic activities. He could be fully cleared by season’s start but it could theoretically be a full 12 months before he is ready.

2 Likes

I sat by Jerry West during Clyde’s freshman year with the Coogs hosting Agy.
At one point Clyde stole the ball, put his head down and jetted down the court to do a spectacular dunk over 6-11 Rudy Woods.
West, who was scouting for the Lakers and an HOF guard, jumped out of his chair, slapped me on the back and said to me “can you believe that? He will be a great NBA player one day!”
Dang, I still can’t believe I didn’t ask West for an autograph lol.

7 Likes

I have not seen any updates but I can tell you Achilles injury rehabilitation has gotten much more efficient

Like you said, it used to be an automatic year for the most part

I’ve personally seen some athletes making it back in 9 1/2 —10 months.

Young and in great shape, maybe his body responds well.

You played it cool Butch
.no fanboy in you!

Respect.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the time (25-30 years ago) that my wife, son & I had an early afternoon Sunday lunch at Sweet Tomatoes at Willowbrook where we sat in the next-to-last booth in the back corner and in walks none other than
Tiger Woods & Elin
who sat down right beside us in the corner booth. Tiger had his golf clothes & cap on and she was wearing a large, loose fitting sweatshirt.

When they walked in, he knew that I recognized him but I just smiled and nodded and left them alone. I overheard them discussing the nutritional aspects of his meal. Then when I got up to go get some bread, rolls, dessert, etc. I looked at him again and he smiled hoping i wouldn’t out him.

Since they were so low key and my wife & son didn’t even believe it was him, we left with only a mutual glance and a smile
no fuss, no muss or autographs. [I told my wife to note the color of his shirt & hat so that after we got back home we could look on TV to see him out on the golf course. Sure enough, there he was and then she believed.]

7 Likes

Fabian was back and playing 10 months after his Achilles injury so I think it’s reasonable to assume that TA will be ready to play by the start of next season (though he may have a minutes restriction initially).

Sweet tomatoes at Willowbrook and Tiger Woods are 2 things I’d never thought I’d read together. Wow. I grew up in Spring so know that spot well.

3 Likes

@WhoWeTalkinBout Fabian had an ACL injury

The only Achilles guys i can think of were:

Justin Moore- Villanova guard

Allen Flanigan- former Auburn/Ole Miss wing

Kevin Durant, John Wall, Klay Thompson

Tiger was and might still be considered one of the toughest autographs around right along side of MJ.
I too never thought it was cool to ask folks for autographs at any time other than at card shows where you had to pay. Thats how my son and I got what autographs we have over the years.
Just blessed to have met so many legends over the year and been able to interview so many!
But I must confess when I was at UH I had one of the Daily Cougar photographers get a picture he developed signed by Big E and Ken Spain.
A little wrinkled up but I still have it!

1 Like

Ahh you right. Changes the timeline quite a bit then.

I was just reading some PGA golf history and so it was must have been the Tour Championship played at the Champions Golf Club - Cypress Creek course - in 1997 or 1999 or 2001. (Most likely it was in 1999 when Tiger won!)

1 Like

I saw a clip of CKS saying there’s a good chance four starters will be back next year. That was nice to hear.

2 Likes