Volleyball team rocks

As others have mentioned before, volleyball is a lot like hockey. Very entertaining on media, but absolutely rocks in person.

3 Likes

1 Like

That’s late

Yeah West Coast. Long trip to face a top ranked team on their homecourt. The challenge is set.

On the other side of the coin, the Coogs have already had such a great season, they can play with zero pressure.

2 Likes

Useless trivia: Stanford has a player that went to the same high school as Doug Drabek.
More useful info: Three common opponents, same results. Houston and Stanford both won against Oregon St & la st. Both lost to ut austin. Total sets W-L: Coogs 7-6, Stanford 6-4.

3 Likes
6 Likes

So they get a day between matches this time. Good to know.

2 Likes

The thing that impressed me was that she ran and dove for that ball like a wide receiver but then passed it back into play like she was a qb. Maximum effort.

1 Like

Cronin is right; one of the best plays for sure and it can be used to motivate players in all sports.

1 Like

My very humble addition to this great post (well done to post, CougarDave) is to note that one of the things that hooked me on Cougar volleyball last year was that it seemed to me that the team kept making what I thought were outrageous saves (no, not quite in the league of the Georgiades highlight- but still quite impressive).

Curiously, and yes I was judging a book by its cover, bad on me, when I saw Coach Rehr he did not seem like a spit nails culture guy. Shows how little I know!!!

Kudos to Coach Cronin. Both very astute and very gracious.

2 Likes

My daughter is getting into volleyball so I have watched more UH volleyball over the last few months than I have in my lifetime. The team does make some amazing plays and saves. I am still learning the game but the only piece they seem to be missing is that dominant, high-elevation person at the net. The one that played for UCF and the one that played for South Dakota (that blew her knee out) seemed to be on a different level at the net. But, overall UH seems to have the skill to overcome that.

1 Like

You would have loved watching Lilly Denoon-Chester, she could get airborne.

3 Likes

Good for your daughter! Best of luck to her. The sport seems so full of positive reinforcement all the time. It appears that after almost every point both teams rush to congratulate one another.

I think you are right about having a truly dominant "hitter " but maybe someone who knows more than us can explain how the rules regarding “rotations” effects the strategies of the game.

1 Like

Have you seen this article?: The college volleyball rotation, explained | NCAA.com

2 Likes

Thanks! I had not seen it and very glad you posted.

Gameday! If ever a quest was quixotic, it is the one undertaken by the UH volleyball team: on the road, long travel trip, playing a highly ranked, highly regarded team in their gym.

Still, the team has surpassed expectations all year. Not favored to win conference, they won. Not favored to advace from Omaha. They did. In fact, UH came from behind to beat a surging Auburn team.

So, if i can stay awake, (earliest start is 9:30 [ oops - will start much closer to 9 than 9:30 p.m. our time]) I will not be surprised at any result. Go Coogs.

4 Likes

Weird.

On the ESPN-U menu on my Xfinity menu, it shows the game starting at 9.

Maybe there’s a pregame show. But the UH Athletics site says 9:30.

So hard to say the exact start time, but tune in at 9 if concerned about missing something.

It is the 2nd game of the Stanford grouping. The San Diego v. Kentucky started at 7 our time. UH starts about 20 minutes after that one finishes I think.

Right now San Diego is cruising. Ahead 2 sets to none at 8:10 our time. So an early start is possible.

Should be 30 minutes from now

1 Like

I think that is right