OT: Dangerous & TOXIC Culture | UH Softball

Extremely concerning allegations made anonymously (by Coaching Staff & Players) to the Scott & Holman Pawdcast. Equally concerning is the Administration’s lack of action, which includes (allegedly) ignoring players’ requests for follow up on incidents, one of which includes a claim that a teammate carries a gun around, acting erratically & threatening players.

Another claim is that people within the program are afraid to whistleblow because their names somehow get revealed to Coach Kristin Vesely, who will allegedly retaliate.

Was listening to this during my workout…worth a listen.

resize

LINK:

7 Likes

Yep, just came across this on X. Changes need to be made immediately!

6 Likes

Look at the current roster. Only 11 players, all of the production this year (limited as it was) is gone by graduation or transfer. Not to disparage any of the current players, but reading the bios, next year doesn’t appear to be any more promising than this year.

I get the budget issues, but there seems to be a lot of undercurrent that does not bode well for the program. Some kind of statement needs to be made to address what is going on.

3 Likes

Add this to the list of coaches who need to be gone yesterday.
WBB
Baseball
Softball

12 Likes

Pez continues to be a failure as an AD

23 Likes

This is bad

5 Likes

Emailed the broadcast to Dr Khator she is probably not aware of this nonsense, she won’t put up with the bad looks for UH if she ever finds out , I’m sure it’s not getting past Pez’s office

9 Likes

Houston had two previous situations,
with former UHVB coach Kaddie Platt getting violations from the NCAA, and coach Bocanegra, running punishment workouts before retiring. His strength and conditioning coach was canned after someone went to the hospital with rhabdo.

Khator was aware of the latter.

1 Like

I am afraid the leadership has heard about these and other issues and will not do anything. This podcast should be sent to all major donors to the athletic program. If it matters to some of them maybe something will get done.

2 Likes

That is the right thing to do. I believe she will Handle it .

3 Likes

We’d probably get sued if we fired her.

1 Like

She has no contract I think it ran out I thought? Just don’t renew it but I think I read Duarte stating she has 1 year left?

A much bigger problem is getting sued by the players.
After that official meeting the gun issue continued. Player in question not removed from team until threat was assessed.
Thank God there was no actual violence.
(based on the fact pattern from podcast)

This AD seems lost.

Besides the meeting w the players & Pez and the associate AD when the situation was discussed ?
You didn’t even listen to the podcast ?
Yet more idiocy out of you.

2 Likes

Is this really football OT…

1 Like

I’m not an attorney so here are a few pertinent legal questions:

1 - Texas being a right to carry state, is it legal to prohibit someone from owning & carrying a gun?
2 - Is there clear evidence that anyone on the team was actually threatened by a gun?
3 - Are there not people carrying guns into most every restaurant and store in Houston?

[NOTE: I’ve heard of some folks that “don’t leave home without it” - (not a Capital One Card)]

2 Likes

To play advocate you couldve said campus carry, in saying that there are designated gun free zones, i.e deans office, labs, etc. Is a locker room considered one?

Cant help of think of Gilbert Arenas

But idk posting allegations in the football section just didnt sit right with me

2 Likes

This was moved from the Lady Cougars section as this is the third time a female sport has faced controversy, at least in my time here. As it can show greater problems with the AD over a general sports stat.

6 Likes

Before we point fingers, it is legal to carry a firearm in Texas, and I would advise most women to do so., If there were no whistleblowers to the coach, how is Pez supposed to magically know about any of this.

1 Like

This thread has little context, my first read makes it feel like she is wielding it snd brandishing it towards other players… i cant tell if it is the dramatic title that bothers me or not

Investigate it, interview the coach and players, this seems like it can be fixed. Seems like a really poor locker room environment in general

Listen to the podcast a lot more issues than just the gun issue going on sounds like the coach has mental issues or controlling issues

6 Likes