Future Realignment Thread

Bro what? I am sure that is the case, but we were talking about this in an official capacity, the BOT has to authorize Renu to negotiate and sign the agreements

Im still not understanding FSUs claim.

Not only did they have an “agent” represent them, and their interests, to sign the agreement, they had one with the title of PRESIDENT OF FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY!

Not sure how that can be overthrown in court.

That’s like saying Renu has NO AUTHORITY to sign ANYTHING related to the University of Houston.

FSU is grasping at straws at this point
very desperate!

And IF they don’t have a "non official " P2 invitation in hand, this will be a bigger embarrassment than the San Diego State blunder.

This happens when Egos override Logic!

I think it comes down to FSU thinking they signed a great deal back at the beginning. But since it turned out, it wasn’t as great as they thought, they are going boo hoo, and saying the contract doesn’t apply to us, and we really didn’t mean it back then. We are FSU, so what we want, we should get.

2 Likes

Pac-12 hires new commissioner to lead two-team league into uncertain future (msn.com)

1 Like

2Pac it is

1 Like

From my own personal experience, I can just imagine the cringe on the faces of every UVA grad when they see someone suggest that they are a regional/cultural fit with the SEC.

UVA grads be like:

Brandon Scott Jones Comedy GIF by CBS

1 Like

:laughing:

Yeah.

Ya know. It seems to me that UVA has changed since I was young.

I can remember people at St. John’s back in the late 80s wanting to go to either UVA or Washington and Lee because they were thought to be quintessentially “Southern” schools.

UVA seems to have taken on a more “northeastern” mentality since then though.

I kind of noticed that during my last stint living in Northern VA from 2010-2015.

2 Likes

Yeah
but they are going to have to pay an outrageous buyout fee, even if negotiated,. The remaining ACC members that stay (including SMU) will gladly cash in their portion of the FSU buyout.

If the ACC media $$/ year + buyout $$ for 1-4 departed schools is GREATER than what the Big 12 can offer then the non P2 worthy ACC schools stay in the ACC.

Why would say, a NC State, move over to the Big 12 if they can make more money in the ACC?

If they only lose 1-4 schools, there are enough schools to keep the Conference intact.

If they need an even number, add USF. USF is in Florida, is a prestigious AAU member, former BCS power conference member ( Big East) and are making significant facility improvements.

They move on an survive a la the Big 12.

How do you imagine they’d make more in the ACC?

They already make a little less.

If more than three teams bolt from the ACC, and ESPN can renegotiate the ACC contract, they’ll probably make quite a bit less, given the loss of value from those big brand departures.

Adding USF won’t help in that regard.

It’s a minuscule sports brand with little value. So is any other team that they might add. PIPSQUEAK brands. Being AAU doesn’t make up for sucky sports brand size.

I agree that the ACC will continue to exist, but it’ll exist in a diminished and devalued format with nowhere close to P3 money or prestige.

As I said, stay tuned.

2-4 ACC teams to the P2, 4 or so to the Big 12.

Yep. I moved to NoVa right after you left (2016). Most of the UVA grads I met mentioned their beloved UVA in the same breadth as Ivies, Michigan and Georgetown; don’t even put Maryland and VaTech (or Penn State) in the same sentence with them. They definitely looked down on SEC grads (except Vanderbilt, of course).

UVA is a public Ivy

1 Like

"Florida State-ACC negotiation to set up next round of realignment (on3.com)

ACC opened the door Friday afternoon for the next potential round of realignment. On page 20 of a 40-page filing that asks for a dismissal or a stay of Florida State’s lawsuit against the conference in Florida’s Leon County, the ACC’s attorneys signaled a path to a logical endpoint in a case being litigated in two different states. The next move after that endpoint is probably yet another reshuffling that will once again alter our perception of which conferences hold how much power.

The ACC, whether intentionally or not, indicated a willingness to negotiate with Florida State. It raised the possibility that there is a yet-to-be-agreed-upon dollar amount that would allow the Seminoles to leave the conference. It’s highly doubtful anyone in the conference office would admit this publicly now, but the inclusion of this language in a public court filing feels like proof enough that the divorce is going to happen. Now it’s just a matter of how much alimony gets paid 
"

Here is the key issue:

“The actual grant of rights is deliberately vague, and the ACC’s attorneys correctly point out that it does not stipulate any financial penalties should a school try to break the agreement.”

“But by saying “it is simply a commercial possibility” that a school could buy back its rights, the ACC’s legal team seems to invite a negotiation. No one to this point had admitted publicly that the GOR could be bought out, even though everyone suspected it could be. This moves the parties closer to the brass-tacks discussion of what it might actually cost
”

" Even if the cost to exit is $300 million or $350 million and Florida State (and/or the others) exits prior to the 2025 football season, it’s not a bad deal for the schools. A school in the Big Ten or SEC is going to make at least $35 million more from its conference than a school in the ACC as currently constituted. With 11 years remaining on the ACC deal at that point, it’s nearly a break-even proposition with a brighter future on the back end."

The payout from ESPN is about the same PLUS the buyout amount they are going to receive from FSU leaving the conference.

We are talking $4-500 million. Even if they negotiate, it will be less but still substantial.

If they join the Big 12 before the payout they will A) walk away from that money and B) have to possibly pay a penalty themselves which many non P2 worthy brands cannot afford.

So 
i’ll ask you again, with the addition of Stanford/CAL/SMU ensuring there will be a ACC IF there is leas than a 4 school raid, why in the world would they join the B12 and forfeit the buyout money?

Doesn’t make financial sense.

FSU apparently disagrees with it not making financial sense.

They are NOT going to pay $4-500 million. A settlement will be negotiated for a fraction of that.

And why do you keep saying that there will be less than a four school raid?

NO PUNDIT is predicting that.

Nearly all are predicting a four team defection to the P2, with others defecting to the Big 12.

Just as I do!

Adding Califord and SMU affords NO protection against that.

This is a huge development if they do negotiate an exit. Here is why.
Clemson, FSU, Duke, NC and Miami are the prime targets. Surely if FSU leaves others will follow. Now the next question is where will FSU go? Everyone can stipulate but if others will follow would that mean the acc is dead?
Remember what happened when mad cows u located in Austin, okie and
espn thought? They 100% believed the BIG12 would never survive.
The following question has to be asked:
Is espn trying to kill the acc? Remember friends that espn has been for sale for a while now. No more acc? espn won’t have to pay.

I doubt that they can “kill” the ACC. There are simply too many teams.

But they can certainly allow it to be diminished in value.

1 Like

If more that seven/eight schools leave the acc is no more.

1 Like

Not necessarily.

They’d still have 10-11 members and could invite more.

But the value of those members would be so low as to make the conference far less lucrative than the P3.

What happened to the PAC12? The very same fate is no longer out of the question.
Without marquee names the acc is dead. espn knows it.
The biggest point for me is for our commish to get FSU into the BIG12. This would be the biggest BIG12 news since the newly sec schools left the BIG12. That is realignment.

1 Like