Future Realignment Thread

Thats not the GOR…that’s ESPNs renewal option.

The GOR still runs through 2036

As I said, with NO consideration after 2027.

No guaranteed money after that year. And a unilateral right to withdraw, leaving the ACC with no money.

No consideration….no enforceable contract.

But that’s not going to happen…lol

If anything, the ACC schools will be getting a raise.

As you keep saying…ESPN needs content!

They do, but they can get it in a configuration other than the current ACC.

Sources: The SEC and Big Ten are set to announce that they are setting up an advisory committee. It’s expected to look at the entire college sports landscape and solutions within it.

— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) February 2, 2024

Agree, I think this is where this is headed, but I don’t think they get there. The BIG and SEC combined have 34 schools, which in the whole scheme of things isn’t large enough to drive some sort of breakaway.

1 Like

I think the issue to consider is what reality says is big enough vs what their egos and perceptions say is big enough.

Interesting?
:thinking:

Here’s the thing, in todays D1 sports, if you are not willing to sell out to massive NIL, you might as well go second tier status. Because that is where you will end up. Maybe make a 12 team playoff, but the title will go to one of the top NIL schools. Follow the money. Although it has not worked for A$M, it will work for most of the others. The NCAA as we know it will die a slow death and it will be a D league for football. AAU won’t even matter, conference won’t matter, just how much quan you have.
. .Just show me the money!

3 Likes

well…the BOT didn’t sign it but the FSU President did.

That’s like saying Renu Khator’s signature does NOT mean anything when it obviously does.

I still think FSU is grasping for straws and somebody tell me which Conference has invited them?

Do they even a have a P2 landing spot?

So Oregon St. and Washington St. are looking to move on from P12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff. My question is what took them so long?

https://x.com/TheAthletic/status/1757543990633836625?s=20

I haven’t done any legal research on the topic, but I’ve heard a few sources claim that under Florida Law, only the BOT, not the Prez, has the legal standing to sign such an agreement.

Seems bogus to me though.

1 Like

Doesn’t the UH BOT come together and vote to authorize Renu to negotiate and make agreements on behalf of the university for things like conference realignment or other big moves? I guess that doesn’t work the same in different states?

That’s how it works at UH.

The Board convenes a meeting that authorizes Renu to “negotiate” with a new conference.

Not sure about other states though.

1 Like

Pac-12 to move on from George Kliavkoff: Conference targets deputy commissioner as replacement, per report - CBSSports.com

The Pac 2 is replacing it’s commish? I guess that doesn’t have to be a secret vote.

2 Likes

As I recall, there was some dispute about whether the leaving 10 schools got a say in whether Kliavkoff kept his job, and so there was some question about whether or not he would be fired.

Not secret, but do they need just a majority of votes or a supermajority?

Too soon…?

2 Likes

Are you that naive?
Mr. Khator, Mr. Fertitta and other mega donors have regular discussions where they us positioned as our best option. They will never make the mistake that we made in the mid 90’s when we were “disconnected” from other schools.
Are you that naive that you think it takes a vote for Mrs. Khator and Fertitta to talk to other conferences. News flash for you all Universities Presidents/Chancellor are in constant contact. This is their job.

At least they had enough to second the motion to put it to a vote.

3 Likes