Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

And Sac State made a very deep FCS playoff run last year. They could very well beat Stanford.

1 Like

As I said
this could be the worst team Stanford has ever fielded.

I won’t rule out a WINLESS season.

1 Like

So what? You mean like Colorado?

It’s about the brand.

In terms of fan base, fan following, attendance, etc., Stanford’s sports brand size is small.

Far smaller than Oregon and Washington’s.

1 Like

Sure but let’s not conflate the points. Performance is not indicative of brand value.

I’m not.

But I am saying that this is a low point for Stanford football, which makes them even less appealing in the current realignment environment.

Hear you. And unlike almost everyone on every forum, I think there is something to adding a Stanford. Academics aside, the BRAND is universally known. They might not be so great football-wise (post Harbaugh) but can’t help but think it doesn’t add to the league. I don’t think they’d be a punching bag for long.

You can take anyone you want and erode the conference. Well, maybe not Cal. They are just dreadful in every single category. The PAC’s brand would probably be elevated by losing them.

Cal agree. But Stanford is a different beast. They’re committed to athletics. It’s not Rice.

1 Like

McMurphy about Gonzaga to the B12, “It hasn’t happened and it’s not going to happen.”

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Their sailing team (true) would have no one to compete with so the point is moot.

UConn and Gongaza basketball only would have been awesome. Alongside the all sports adds

It is my opinion that the B1G is really interested in waiting for one or more of ACC schools that are AAU members which are North Carolina, Duke, Ga Tech, Virginia, Miami, and Pitt. Of course they want Notre Dame who is also an AAU member.

I didn’t know until I just looked up AAU members that USF is also AAU.

I don’t think they are interested in anymore teams on the west coast having the LA market (and probably most of California) in USC and UCLA. The AAC schools fit their footprint better in states with growing populations.

1 Like

Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Washington.

This is going down.

13 Likes

But what do they do with those two programs out west? It’s just an island. USCLA fans have to travel so far for every away game.

I am not saying the B1G doesn’t want the USC & UCLA pair, just that they have garnered the market they want in the west while getting ACC schools that fit their model would be preferable and what they really want. I wonder if the existing B1G schools indicated they don’t want anymore long trips out west.

Source?

As I always say, I’ll believe it when it actually happens.
Until then, your guess is good as mine.

Arizona’s fanbase seems more interested in joining.

Utah has hired this guy to inform their fans that everything will be okay on their message boards.

JQcalmpic2

9 Likes

Lol