Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Classic

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1646336975908085760?s=46

1 Like

All streaming w @ $20 million after production costs on Apple the only option ?
It would be a huge raise for MWC/AAC schools.
MWC could wait out current TV deal. AAC teams need $18 million (at least) buyout.

“How would you grade Kliavkoff’s performance to this point?”
“Do you feel that you have been misled by your sources inside the Pac-12?”

“the Aztecs’ major sports have performed better than Colorado’s versions over the past decade.
So yes, that swap would constitute an upgrade on several fronts”.

This guy

“Meeting was fine. I think we are pretty solid,”

1 Like

Colorado jumped for tv deal and exposure. Oregon is next up. BIG won’t take them and do not need them until maybe 2030s if at all.

Oregon need to be on fox and espn. They coming. It’s going to be Colorado and Oregon for the 2024 season .

7 Likes

I think Arizona jumps next.

Oregon and Washington are probably weighing their options carefully or trying to figure out how they could join the Big 12 but also be able to leave should they get an invite to the B1G (which I doubt they will)

Utah / ASU = screwed

Washington St / Oregon St = MWC

Cal / Stanford = MWC or Independent

1 Like

I think Arizona is all but a lock at this point.

OUW is in such a unique and sh*tty position. Adding schools that don’t fit the Ivory Tower criteria (SDSU, Boise, and Fresno) is going to be difficult with Stanford and Cal having votes. So that leaves you with Rice, SMU, and Tulane as options.

Let’s say they all agree to bring them in but OUW wants unequal shares on a $22mm per school TV deal (purely speculative number but probably close). What will Cal, Stanford, and Utah have to say to that?

Arizona St. fans agee with you

10 Likes

But that is for making an exit in 2025. What about 2024?

I can’t believe these PAC schools want to play poker this long. You’re one or two colleague’s board decision away from realignment oblivion. I think I would ask for 30 million and the safety and security of the sure thing. To Hell with realignment gambling.

10 Likes

I agree that Arizona and Oregon have the be the front runners at this point. Arizona has the premium bball brand remaining. Oregon has the premium football brand remaining. Both have to realize it is better to hitch their wagons further east with more $ and visibility. Hopefully the next couple weeks this plays out. If they both come then a third likely gets the call - Utah or UW is most likely. I am certain Yormark has a priority board and is willing to wait at least a little to hear from his top schools before moving on down which is why news may be on the scale of weeks not days right now. I’d be shocked if we don’t get at least one other PAC school with the near certain $ differential.

1 Like

The various Arizona forums seem to be advocating for our Big 12.

My Granddaughter just graduated from U. of A. and she supports it.

11 Likes

Cal Berkley and Stanford are not Rice and Tulane. They are next level. B10 will accommodate them in their 20 team super conference. They are highly prestigious universities exactly the kind of universities B10 wants. They have currently Maryland and Rutgers, good universities, but not at the stature of Cal Berkley and Stanford. The entrepreneurs from these two schools are billionaires.

I would put Rice in their category. Not Tulane.

3 Likes

Rice isnt equal to Stanford or Berkeley, but I agree that they are roughly in the same tier in terms of academic prestige.

Truthfully there aren’t any southern schools that will achieved the level of prestige Stanford / Ivy League. I would put Rice in the little Ivy schools like Colgate, Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin etc

That was in April

I don’t see it.

If Washington and Oregon aren’t big enough brands to attract a B1G invite, then Cal and Stanford surely won’t be. Their brands are far smaller, comparatively speaking.

This season could, literally, be the worst team that Stanford has ever fielded. They return only 3 starters each way from a 2-10 team, and have a new coach with no I-FBS head coaching experience.

If they can’t beat I-FCS Sacramento State in Week 3
then they could very well go WINLESS this season.

Were they in the B1G, they’d be next to last in football attendance ahead of only (barely) NW.

In basketball, they’d be dead last in attendance in the B1G by a WIDE margin.

Stanford and Cal may
for all intents and purposes
be SCREWED.

1 Like

Yeah that’s why it’s funny

Stanford would join the B1G with Norte Dame

Not Cal

2 Likes

Notre Dame will be in the B1G should a) they come to their senses someday, AND b) they have enough money to buy their way out of the ACC GOR, or that GOR otherwise falls apart.

As for Stanford
ND’s biggest rival has always been USC, not Stanford, since the days of Knute Rockne.

The B1G already has USC, so if USC isn’t enough to draw in ND
then I can’t see how Stanford would make a difference.

2 Likes

I can see them taking Stanford and BC from the ACC just to force ND’s hand and say the only way B1G members will play them is if they join the B1G. Eliminating just about every team sans Navy they play regularly.

No way USC ever agrees to that.

In LA years, that’s USC’s Thanksgiving Week matchup.

They won’t do anything that would risk losing that.

1 Like