Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

If you’re BY and the Big 12, it makes a lot of sense to publicize & oversell your interest in a plausible candidate like UCONN that everyone knows is a firm “Yes”.

It’s just another way of applying pressure to the remaining P12 programs that are actually candidates for the 14th spot.

1 Like

I had also read that Fox is also good with matching.

New smoke, although I have no idea how they could get out of the ACC GOR, FSU allegedly thinks they can get out and has approached the B12

4 Likes

“The Big 12’s preference, for now, is to add only one more school to get to 14 members in this round of conference realignment, sources close to the situation tell CBS Sports.

“While adding up to three more schools and expanding to 16 remains a possibility, the league intends to wait at least a few days to let the migration of Colorado sink in before considering next steps.

“Arizona remains the favorite to fill that 14th spot with Arizona State, Utah and UConn considered other top Big 12 expansion candidates…”

I dunno, to come to UCF’s conference hat in hand seems like more swallowing of pride than FSU is capable of

However, if you can get FSU you get FSU.

1 Like

100% but if UW and/or Oregon say they want in AND they agree to all GOR related matters, I can see B12 going to 16 fast.

1 Like

247 Sports’ Brandon Marcello wrote: "(Big 12 Commissioner Brett) Yormark’s primary target is Arizona, sources tell 247Sports…”

2 Likes

The PAC made three strategic mistakes from the outset. One is only partially their fault. The other two were intentional.

1. They trusted the B10 without a written contract and got stabbed in the back.

2. The Alliance could have easily been between the B10-PAC-B12-and ACC. But the B12 was intentionally and publicly left out. This made it personal between the two conferences.

3. They could have ceded some control (as the weaker party) in an alliance or partnership with the B12 after USC left. My understanding is this was proposed. But their hubris got the better of them.

They killed their own conference. I can’t feel bad for them as a group.

10 Likes

Maybe now is a good time to stop the bleeding by unfurling that bada$$ media deal

2 Likes

I’ve never seen such a public unraveling.

2 Likes

Agreed. Many of us here picked up on the BS a year ago and here we are. Lol

1 Like

I now Know why the Big 12 may only want to add TWO P5 schools

In our new TV agreement, ESPN agrees to pay up to FOUR P5 schools their full share of the TV contract, per new school…that’s $20 of the total $32 million deal in the ESPN + FOX shared contract.

FOX, however, only has agreed to pay a full share ($12 million) for TWO P5 schools.

So the first two PAC schools to agree will get the full $32 million. Colorado just took one of those spots.

If the Big 12 gets one more addition, say Arizona, and TWO MORE additional schools want to join…the Big 12 will have to subsidize that $12 million for add #3 & #4 unless FOX agrees to pay for them.

Ideally, we would like 4 P5 schools…but this may be why we are hearing G5 schools mentioned as a possible #4 to lower the amount the Big 12 would have to subsidize part of their payout and we can force them to agree to less.

If the 4 Corner schools want to join…I still think the Big 12 finds a way to get it done banking that it will cripple the PAC and the payout will come in the next deal but it just makes things more complicated.

1 Like

Abiut 30 minutes ago i heard on 610 am sports talk radio in interview wIth John McLain that there’s a source saying that Oregon is considering taking the next spot in Big12

That rumor was posted on here and TOS.

Notwithstanding the newspaper reporting, I never believed that TCU or UH were seriously considered for the PAC. If PAC wanted the Texas market so bad, they would have struck a deal with Texas and any hangers on to Texas coattails (yes, I’m speaking to you Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Texas Tech). If offered at the time, UH would have jumped at the chance: more media money and P5 status. In the end, it all worked out.

4 Likes

the AAC has a 27 month notification with severe penalties for leaving early. PAC can have WAC schools in 2024 and AAC teams in 2026.

I think there’s a good chance the Ft Worth Star-Telegram report was right. For one thing, the guy who had the story is a respected sports journalist, not a Mhver or Fluguar or even Dennis Dodds. Second, there were other pieces floating around about UH and the PAC. Third, had UH and TCU been invited, the PAC would have gained footholds in Texas’s two huge markets, both top 10, and recruiting access to the best high school players in the country. Of course, we may never know for certain, and things have worked out great.

2 Likes

I’d much rather have several other Pac schools but I agree with what you’re saying.

I see beyond the money and names and just look at it as where I’d want to travel for away games.

Las Vegas and or San Diego seem pretty nice to me

3 Likes

Several within the UH athletic department feel that Oregon has the inside track as well. BY is being very close-mouthed about it.

9 Likes

TCU completely does NOT meet the PAC profile.

Couldn’t be farther from it.

That, combined with the fact that NO OTHER source except a pro TCU Fort Worth homer reported this should have led everyone here to dismiss it outright.

I certainly did.