Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Wow, what a surprise! Oregon may go to the B12 but would really rather go to the B1G; who would have ever thought that – except everyone.

1 Like

“It’s not a matter of not wanting to go to 16. It’s a matter of paying the schools. Colorado and any other school will be paid from OU and UT exit fees for the 2024 season.

The prorata clause(31.6million) kicks in the 2025 season . So there is a 1 year lag, that makes going to 16 next season impossible.

The big12 practically can only add 1 more school for 2024 season.”

4 new schools are only getting 40% shares next year. That gets to full shares for 2 more.
#GoCoogs!

Sounds like when Yormark jumped ahead of the PAC12 in media negotiations.

2 Likes

Nothing is impossible.

3 Likes

This year and next year

• UH, Cincinnati, BYU and UCF, will be paid from shares of current legacy 8 schools. The legacy 8 will take a hit.

2024 ( next year)

• Colorado and say Arizona ( example), will get paid from OU and UT exit fees ( 80 million). That’s full shares for both.

2025:

• All schools receive full equal shares.

The big12 can only afford to add 1 more P5 school for 2024.

3 Likes

9 Likes

My understanding was that the B12 can add 4 and still get the pro rata

7 Likes

Correct, the pro rata (31.6 million) is for the new contract that starts 2025, not the current contract. That’s my understanding.

Really??
As in there’s not enough rumor mongering?

Contract states Pro-rata kicks in whenever they join. But ESPN is on the hook for 63 or 67% of it. So they wouldn’t even cover all of it. Fox is getting a deal with that. I think when we sell the basketball rights that would be amazing so if anyone is to join it should be Oregon or Arizona.

Then next year worry about the rest.

Never enough rumor mongering during these times.

4 Likes

You tell the other PAC schools, “You missed your chance, no full share for you until 2025.” You get a partial share like the other new members, except for CU."

My take is we need make each of our remaining expansion slots selections count. They need to be way better than Colorado.

We already have the best basketball conference in the country. I think there are a lot of ifs & buts to be figured out before going separate basketball media contract. No matter how good a basketball media contract may be, football money will still decide when a university moves to a different conference. We moved to the Big12 for the football money.

Under the new CFP the Big12 will already have a spot in the 12 team playoff.

IMHO The only PAC teams that could possibly give us a higher CFP seeding or maybe 2 seeds in the new format are Oregon, Washington, and maybe Utah. Teams like these are the direction we need to be going with.

Do we want to use our remaining openings for:
• teams like Oregon that will help with our next round of contracts.
• a maybe one year “ha, ha we took the PAC down” only to have more dead P5 weight to carry.
• bring in G5s that may move the needle some day.

I’m 71 years old. In 7 to 10 years, I hope I have more to celebrate in UH footbal than the year we almost or did wipe out the PAC

If you’re BY and the Big 12, it makes a lot of sense to publicize & oversell your interest in a plausible candidate like UCONN that everyone knows is a firm “Yes”.

It’s just another way of applying pressure to the remaining P12 programs that are actually candidates for the 14th spot.

1 Like

I had also read that Fox is also good with matching.

New smoke, although I have no idea how they could get out of the ACC GOR, FSU allegedly thinks they can get out and has approached the B12

4 Likes

“The Big 12’s preference, for now, is to add only one more school to get to 14 members in this round of conference realignment, sources close to the situation tell CBS Sports.

“While adding up to three more schools and expanding to 16 remains a possibility, the league intends to wait at least a few days to let the migration of Colorado sink in before considering next steps.

“Arizona remains the favorite to fill that 14th spot with Arizona State, Utah and UConn considered other top Big 12 expansion candidates…”

I dunno, to come to UCF’s conference hat in hand seems like more swallowing of pride than FSU is capable of

However, if you can get FSU you get FSU.

1 Like

100% but if UW and/or Oregon say they want in AND they agree to all GOR related matters, I can see B12 going to 16 fast.

1 Like

247 Sports’ Brandon Marcello wrote: "(Big 12 Commissioner Brett) Yormark’s primary target is Arizona, sources tell 247Sports…”

2 Likes