According to Kendall Rogers, Whitting

This caught me by surprise but since 2013, UH baseball has only had two losing records. That builds a case for why CTW is still around.

1 Like

That only proves that not losing isn’t the same as winning.

4 Likes

In other words, it proves that playing a weak schedule can result in a winning record and an RPI that guaranties you will not get an at-large bid.

8 Likes

HCU fell for the typical okie doke - hire someone with a “name” thinking kids will just walk in and play for him :rofl: - maybe in select ball but not in this business

Now will they do a real search and hire someone who has won without fancy facilities but hcu is an upgrade to them or fall back into that same trap?

2 Likes

We’re broke. We need Whitting to shepherd us into the B12. Do not worry. We will always have a winning record and every ten years we’ll play in a regional in Maine or Idaho. You’ll look back on today like the glory years. #EnjoyTheRide

1 Like

The standard shouldn’t merely be finishing over .500.

It should be making the tourney at a minimum.

4 Likes

We’re top 64 in funding. When’s the last time we’ve finished in the top 64 in RPI?

2 Likes

2 Likes

I don’t know every single showcase coach in 17U and 18U

but I know a lot of them
.especially from the valley to the coast to the hill country and in between

We talk about where we have kids going or possibly going amongst other things.

There are 21 D1 schools in Texas

UH is about middle of the pack with where the majority of kids would choose to go if recruited
.thats not counting out of state or smaller D1’s putting together a better offer.

2 Likes

Man, that’s bad. I bet we were generally top 5 up until the last few years.

1 Like

When TCU and Texas Tech started out recruiting us our program went downhill fast.
We will probably never be able to recruit with the sips and Ags but darn sure ought to be able to win our share against everyone else in the state.
When Noble was doing that we had a really good program

3 Likes

Does Baylor suffer due to the cost of its tuition? They use that as a reason for being behind.

I knew a guy who went D3 to Hardin Simmons and had poor HS grades. They still gave him $5-$10k in funding despite parents making over $100k. Hardin Simmons has relatively low tuition relative to Baylor and TCU.

Can give you exact numbers or anything

but I can tell you private schools can get pretty creative with the way the give “academic “ money to help bridge the gap
.Look at Rice for example

muy expensive but most baseball players ( the really good players at least) get enough money that is non baseball that really help.

3 Likes

Had a teammate get moved from athletic to academic our senior year. Scholarship amount stayed the same so no harm.

2 Likes

Exactly.

I paid somewhere between 5k-7k total over four years for my son’s education

extremely grateful.

My daughter is making up for it though.

2 Likes

Crazy to see Tech at the top of that list.

Would love to see more resources put towards the program but at this juncture look who would be the steward of those resources. TW isn’t worth the investment and hasn’t been for the past few yrs.

Why not go get a coach who would LOVE the opportunity to be a Head coach and has a good work ethic and will hire a staff that’s just as motivated (and knows baseball and can build relationships) and turn the reigns over to them to turn this cluster F around?

This is a profession that’s about results. If you’re not getting it done there’s others that can and CHOOSING to stay in this quagmire is just pathetic. Especially when UH is in a city that puts out more D1 baseball players then anywhere else in the country.

4 Likes

BU was somewhere in range of $70k iirc when we looked and Scholly would have covered 25% but could not use my Vet benefits at private school. Stunk for my boy as had several out of state offers but it all worked out as injuries did him in on the field but he’s graduating as an Engineer debt free. Chasing the Baseball Dream is a tough road but man, the life lessons and camaraderie cannot be replaced

3 Likes

I can tell you that UH does a horrible job of working with the academics portion of the university to bridge the gap between what a scholarship will cover and what school really costs.

3 Likes

This is so stupid, too. There’s undistributed money every single year, and this is an easy avenue for a motivated coach to get players on scholarship without using athletic money.

2 Likes

That’s nuts
.just another part of the job UH baseball fails at

1 Like