Which Coogs are coming back?

The Blazers offered Drexler and the number 2 pick in the 84 draft for Ralph Sampson. So, we could have had Olajuwon at 1, Jordan at 2 and Drexler. Hindsight is 20-20.

5 Likes

Was that ever verified? I always thought that was just hearsay

We probably would have drafted Bowie to be Dreams new “Twin Tower”
.lol

I believe that it’s confirmed. Olajuwon mentioned it in his book.

1 Like

I’m a Portland fan. I don’t know if Portland would give up both Clyde and #2 for Sampson. But I know they didn’t draft Jordan because they already had Clyde. Boy that was huge mistake for the franchise and to make matters worse, Bowie was horrible. Portland is cursed with drafting big man. Drafting Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Sampson was considered the best young player in basketball. Between Dream and Ralph, Ralph was considered the better player. Everyone wanted Sampson.

3 Likes

The Blazers didn’t learn their lesson.

2 Likes

Ralph was a monster at Virginia. Everything indicated the twin towers would dominate the basketball universe. Trading Ralph to Portland for Clyde the Glide and re-form the Coogs combo should have happened. The game back then was IMO much better to watch. I always enjoyed each position defined. This all changed when the three point line was pushed back.

2 Likes

As good as he was at UH, Dream was just coming into his own when he went into the Draft.

You all remember on how Dream was pissed with the Rockets owner. He was this close to be traded multiple times. Dream wanted out.

BS Alert.

Flat out making stuff up

he was never “almost traded multiple times”

Don’t start pollardvision. Don’t make it personal.

The ones that were around that time period know exactly what I am writing about.
Ask Bill Worrell. By the way Bill is one the nicest guy I ever met.

It’s not personal.

I’m saying that you are flat out full of it.

Dont sit here and act like you had some inside information with what Rockets brass was going to or not do back then.

1 Like

There was tension between Hakeem and the front office. In fact he asked for a trade in the early 90s
This was before Alexander owned team.

Hakeem was so fed up he demanded a trade on a few occasions. This was an ongoing soap opera. Maybe pollard got to Houston past that time. That would explain it
 Hindsight 20/20 Ralph was great but he never complimented Dream and vice versa. We can never go back but yes having Glide with Dream early on would have Phi Slama Jama 2.0. I got the chance to meet Hakeem and the rest of the Rockets multiple times with Carl Herrera the Rockets were like UH Basketball with the pros. It was really cool.

Dream was considered a dunker and shot blocker. Ralph was everything. He was Wemby before Wemby.

If his knees hadn’t disintegrated, he would have been a HOFer.

1 Like

Ralph’s touch was unreal. He destroyed the acc and big 10. What a shame and too a great guy.

1 Like

Hakeem and the Rockets front office did indeed have a pretty big dispute in 1992.

Hakeem literally got suspended by the Rockets and demanded a trade. The Rockets’ story is that he refused to play a game because of his contract, Hakeem claimed he had a bad hamstring and was hurt.

I only recall that happening one time, but it was a real thing on that one occasion.

See here.

1 Like

Yeah, Hakeem covered the front office tension in his book.

1 Like

Basically all of the Houston sports reporters were camping at the Summit. By the way how good was the Summit’s sound for concerts? Outstanding.

1 Like

Based on the end of this thread, one would think Dream has a year of eligibility left.

1 Like