Transfer Portal news 4.0

actual factual statement… we did bet on francis last season… and it didnt work out…

or are you saying he had a breakout year last year like sampson said?

Didn’t need to have a breakout season and wasn’t expected too but he did get some run mid season because he was too impactful to sit.

As I said , ridiculous statement and certainly not a fact in any world.

@pesik you made a good point a while back. We lost Sasser and Mark. Brought in Cryer & Dunn as replacements

But, in theory Dunn is eating into some of Emmanuel Sharps PT next yr. Weren’t worried about Sharp transferring?

But its different with the freshmen forwards. They cant be recruited over…

1 Like

If he was too impactful to sit why did his minutes diminish in the most important games of the season?

1 Like

Bingo. that’s how we figured Kelvin was just putting in a smile for the camera. Lol when Kelvin said if we should add a big his no didn’t sound convincing.

Opponents adjusted and found areas he was still developing, hence why I stated he wasn’t expected to take that spot.
At the end of the day we went with the player who had more experience and was a team leader in Chaney.

1 Like

It’s about bringing in the right player for the right situation. So absolutely Sharp understands the addition of Dunn.

he was ( the bolded part)… sampson noted it preseason and early season… you were literally in the thread… you dont remember samspon said he would breakout mid season?? hinted around January and how good he’ll be. and we were all having talks about it… that he might jump jwan

you not remembering doesn’t make my statement ridiculous it makes yours… you dont remember the context

and no he didnt have a run mid-season he played good against horrendous competion, with no size… his big game was against nc a&t, if you watch the replay, his stats were amazing, but he didnt do anything… they ran zone, all our guards were easily breaking their zone off the dribble, and when the help came theyd just pass it to WIDE open francis for a open dunk (over and over and over again)… the film wasnt impressive

4 Likes

I’ll add JoJo has way better handles than Francis, and can also pass a lot better too which is an underrated skill set of his.

3 Likes

Are you trying to say that North Carolina A & T is not a good measuring stick?

3 Likes

Side Note: Caesar’s Virginia will be complete in 2024, just 20 minutes away from NC A&T, for future road trips to future, highly anticipated match-ups with the Aggies… :grin:

I think a lot of the deals are team deals and CKS isn’t going to offer money up front which makes sense.

2 Likes

I believe that’s correct. When a big guy comes in with a ~$1 million salary/NIL ask, UH is likely a pass.

Sampson has been pumping up Francis because he has so much ability but no one expected him to start last year. Coach was hopeful, yes, but Francis’s diminishing minutes were on him not the coach.
Maybe Sampson, who actually watches the young center work at practice has a better grip on this than the rest of us.
This is a pivotal year for young Francis and I have no problem with coach tooting his horn.
If the light ever comes on Francis can be very, very good.
And if it doesn’t we will not be lacking for talent.
I have nothing but respect for Sampson sticking by Francis’s side.
It could pay huge dividends and if not we have young guns like Tugler, Lath and McFarland ready to eat up some minutes.

3 Likes

Yup. Now let’s raise a glass to this year’s national champion, UNC.

2 Likes

Francis to me is still a project, but showed just enough last year to keep the faith. This is where us fans have to trust CKS’ evaluation. I truly think that if CKS thought Francis did not have a future in Houston, CKS would have a heart to heart with him and help him transfer. I do agree Francis needs to take a big jump this year. He could be the difference in several spots in the conference rankings.

2 Likes

According to 247sports, (3) Big 12 teams did the best in portal

Yes, those teams did lose pieces, but they reloaded.

No coincidence that Big12, SEC, Big East are the 3 best basketball conferences. Look how they did in the portal

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1665072849227218945

https://twitter.com/tobias_bass/status/1665071392180649986

2 Likes

Were we in contact with him before he committed to Jayhawks?

Stopped recruiting him because he didn’t fit the culture.

4 Likes