Transfer Portal news 4.0

Much more height than we have, 7 footer, 6’10, 6’9 maybe not a center but more height, Francis is still a question mark, I just don’t see us doing much

4 Likes

i listed the 2 roational centers… loveday was technicnally on roster but was deep bench

i know people love to list baylor as “you can win a title without a notable center”… but those are stat watchers who love points… baylor had centers who played their role of muscling players out of the paint… they were the most under rated part of that team. baylor plays true man to man (dont do crazy post traps like we do) and yet few teams scored in the post… the baylor vs gonzaga game the announcer noted it often; how baylor bigs were just constantly trying to body timme out of the post

we are not only short… we also dont have that much muscle…lath is the exception but he isnt a projected player in the rotation

5 Likes

Our guard player next yr is Baylor-esque

But we’re missing a stretch 4, like Matthew Mayer

And an enforcer down low, like Jonathan Tchatchoua

1 Like

We’ll see…

Our frontline is being underrated by some in this board.
Roberts will be one of the top players at his position in the Big 12.
Francis is going to hold his own and be one of the top rim protectors in the league.

This roster does look a little like that Baylor team.

2 Likes

Totally agree - I believe Francis will be top 3 center in Big 12 when all is said and done. Think Bo Outlaw but Francis much better on offense and will block shots like Bo - maybe better. I thought Francis really looked good in stretches with back to basket, and obviously pick and roll he will dunk plenty. Offensive rebound, dunk or put back - I think he will dominate on the offensive boards this year. Just wait

3 Likes

Our starting five looks fine. Beyond that I don’t have a lot of confidence. I know Sampson recently talked about the possibility of losing a player if we bring in another player from the portal, but I think it’s risky given that TA hasn’t proven anything and Francis has a hard time staying on the court due to being foul prone.

At this point I’d much rather have a proven like Kaluma or Grant. We basically don’t have proven depth if TA doesn’t make a jump forward or Francis can’t stay on the court. That’s risky in my opinion. If a player transfers out, so be it. That just means the player coming transferring in was better.

I promise you our depth for the backcourt will be fine. I expect Sharp and Arceneaux to get better like all do after their first year. Our backcourt top to bottom is elite and rivals as one of the best in the country. And I’m not just saying that with coog glasses on. I mean I won’t say that about our front court.

Every preseason poll I have seen has us top ten in the country.

1 Like

Well if “ you promise” then I feel better.

I’m kidding, I actually agree about depth.

Well maybe I shouldn’t promise lol. Things don’t usually go well when I promise.

1 Like

top 3???

kansas - there is an all american in dickson at kansas

cincy - Aziz Bandaogo 7ft 11.5 points 10.4 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 2.9 blocks (vik and reynolds also more proven than francis)

wvu- jesse edwards 6’11 14pts 11rbs 2.7 blocks

oklahoma - john hugley 14pts 8rbs

i dont feel like listing everyone out, but if there was a draft of starting big 12 centers, with ucf commit today, we’d be the dead last pick, and a significant amount of backups would be picked before francis … your comment is forward facing, i know you point is that at the end of the season francis will be season as top 3 in the league, even if he isnt today…
even then top 3 is a stretch, there are teams that will be reliant on their centers, while i guarantee we’d elevate from last (hopefully) it wont be close to top 3 …i dont think people realize the quality of players in the big 12 to think a player would couldnt trust with 3 mins combined for all games ncaa tourney games, would be top 3 center in the best basketball league in the country

@pesik full list:

1.Hunter Dickinson- Kansas

2.Kadin Shedrick- Texas

3.Josh Ojianwuna- Baylor

4.Jesse Edwards- West Virginia

5.Warren Washington- Texas Tech

6.Ernest Udeh Jr - TCU

7.Aziz Bandaogo, Viktor Lahkin, Jamille Reynolds- Cincinnati

8.John Hugley IV- Oklahoma

9.Mike Marsh or Brandon Garrison - Oklahoma St

10.Aly Khalifa - BYU

11.Jerrell Colbert or David N’Guessan - Kansas St

12.Omar Payne or Ibrahima Diallo - UCF

13.Milan Momcilovic - Iowa State

For Francis, if he’s a Top 7 Center next yr, would be solid.

A loaded back court with TA and Sharp coming off the bench to go with a front line that has a chance to be great defensively and rebounding and some of you act as if we are doomed. All because we haven’t gotten an extra role player for the frontline.

2 Likes

Lol

the great defensive and rebounding is the question mark…

we struggled to rebound against anyone with size… while in the aac only 2-4 teams had size to worry about, as of today all the big 12 has size to worry about…kstate is the only team close to us in size … similarly with defense we struggled to defend players with size…

a huge benfit last year was that we played no teams with good size AND goods guards. (oregons guard were trash, ucf, auburn etc…) st marys was the only decent combo, and lucky the “good guard” was a true freshmen on his 6th game
in the big 12 everyone has size and good guards…

2 Likes

We are not winning the conference next season. We are not in the AAC any longer. We will get dominate down low.

2 Likes

Great guards with really good role players to do the dirty work is a very good recipe considering we know the effort will be there in defense.
I don’t necessarily want hi I the D will be as great as some of our other teams and overall rebounding will be dependent on the guards but I like who we have inside.

Nae’Qwan Tomlin (6’10 210lbs) started at the 5 for kstate last year, and he announed his withdrawal from the draft… i think he holds the 5 for them… i know they want to move him to the 4, but if they dont add another big he’ll play the 5 for them

and robert jones (6’10 240lbs) doesnt put big stats for iowa state, but i think he starts too…surface level doesnt look that good, but the coach seems to trust him …i dont have him in my iowa state starting 5, becuase he isnt one of their best 5 players, but will probably start

1 Like

For K State, Tomlin is really thin, 210 pounds. Offensively hed be a mismatch, but defensively he’d get destroyed in the paint

Id be worried about foul trouble for Tomlin at the 5