Texans Football

No need to call the team texians. No need to tie back to republic, let alone use a term often associated with just one group of residents of the republic.

I don’t much like texans as a mascot, but no way you go with texians.

Put me in the apollos camp.

Or the fire ants. Just turn the logo upside down and call us the fire ants.

I’m increasingly fine with the nickname. If they introduced the Green Bay Packers or San Francisco 49ers as expansion teams today those would sound stupid, too.

Besides, it’s impossible to have the worst team name in the league when you’re playing in a league that also has the Washington Commanders.

1 Like

Colts used to be the Dallas Texans (the NFL franchise, not the AFL franchise).

49ers is appropriate and fits San Francisco to a T with its history as a hub for the California Gold Rush. And given the history of the name, Packers makes perfect sense. The only issue is the NFL would never grant an expansion franchise to Green Bay today (or any time in the last 65 years).

If you introduced the Green Bay Packers, a team named after a meat-packing company that sponsored them, today, fans would absolutely riot. If they didn’t have more titles than any other team in the sport, that would be the dumbest-sounding name since the Cleveland Browns.

See also:

• Chicago Bears/Detroit Lions (literally playing off the names of the existing popular teams in the city)
  • Cleveland Browns (Named after a coach, who was kicked out and had to go start the Bengals too)
  • Bengals/Panthers/Jaguars (Because, uh…big cats are neat, I guess?)
  • Colts/Broncos (" " horses " ")
  • Cardinals/Falcons (" " birds " ")

Realistically, there are like 5 good team names in the entire NFL. The Texans aren’t uniquely bad.

How would those sound stupid? …both honor their history.

The 49ers honor the California Gold Rush of 1849.

The Packers honors Wisconsin’s Meat industry and their baseball team honors their beer history.

In fact, in 2005, we tried to name our MLS team the 36ers ( Houston 1836) but the Hispanic community shot that down and Oliver Luck caved under the pressure.

The difference between the Packers and the Brewers is that Milwaukee is actually known for its beer companies, much in the way that Pittsburgh is famously the home of U.S. Steel and Houston the global center of the Oil and Gas industry. Green Bay is just called the Packers because they were sponsored by one particular meat packing company that happened to do business in Green Bay. They’re not historically prominent in the industry. In fact, Chicago, their division rival, actually was known for its meatpacking. That’s like some tech company in Portland sponsoring an expansion franchise and calling it the Portland Programmers.

No those Dallas Texans folded after one season, but some of the players went to the expansion Baltimore Colts the following season.

There was a Houston Texans in the WFL in the 70’s as well.

Au contrair mon ami.

Despite winning the championship, the Texans found it hard to attract a fan base with the Dallas Cowboys in direct competition. Both teams struggled to gain traction. Lamar Hunt decided to move his team to Kansas City.
Kansas City Chiefs History | The Game Before the Money

Different Dallas Texans. There were two; one in the NFL and one in the AFL. (Not counting the Arena Football one in the 90s.)

The Dallas Texans that helped start the AFL is the one that moved to KC to become the Chiefs. Fact, I was here when it happened.

I don’t speak enough French to know what the contrair of au contrair is, but there were two separate Dallas Texans teams.

AFL Dallas Texans move to KC to become the Chiefs
NFL Dallas Texans only existed in 1952 and they drew so few fans that they played only the first 8 in Dallas the last 4 games were in different cities.

1 Like

Yep. I am surprised more people don’t know this. Also, it is surprising that for native Texans, they don’t know that the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs is the grandson of none other than HL “Bum” Hunt,

The famous oil baron (and lawyer) and founder of the Hunt Oil dynasty (and father of the Hunt Brothers, whose ill-fated attempt to corner the silver market in the late 1970s is stuff of legend. It bankrupted them!!). It is said that the character of J.R. Ewing was based on him.

Here is a history of every NFL team name.

I bet you didn’t know that the oldest team name is the Arizona Cardinals. Their name originated because they bought used uniforms from the University of Chicago who were the maroon and the uniforms had faded to the color of cardinal red.

Yes I did. Team started as the Chicago Cardinals. The Cardinals were the first team in Chicago, not the Bears. The Bears were started in Decatur, IL (home of Archer, Daniels Midland) and were called the Decatur Staleys. The Staleys moved to Chicago in 2021, about 22 years after the Cardinals. The became the Chicago Bears a year later.

Now, the owners of the Decatur Staleys were Illinois grads, which also helped with the rivalry between them and the Cardinals, who as you correctly state, were more associated with the University of Chicago.

I believe the reason the Bears have orange in their uniforms is because of the Illini connection (UHLaw97, help me out on this).

1 Like

So I used to work for Hunt Oil in Dallas, there were two sides of the H.L. Hunt family. The Chiefs owners and Ray Hunt were from the better half, the others with Hunt Petroleum were much different.

1 Like

Yes it seems to be the case.

Bum Hunt was a real piece of work, let me tell you. Racist to the core, and apparently, was (allegedly) behind the assassination of JFK.

Ironically, some of his kids and grandkids are quite liberal/progressive.

Actually, the Chicago Bears’ orange and navy colors are a direct ripoff from University of Illinois.

Similarly, the Bears “C” helmet logo was first used by the University of Chicago Maroons.

It is still worn by UChicago’s current Division III football team.

1 Like

Thanks UHLaw!

Kind of like how Iowa’s unis are a direct ripoff of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and UGA’s unis are a ripoff of Green Bay’s.