Texans Football

That is good for two penalties/game. Not a Pro Bowl player IMO.

We were a missed FG in the 1st half from leading at the break and shot themselves in the feet a couple drives or would have been up more. We ended the half sacking Jackson twice. So we struggled with a good team for the 2nd half at their place, but overall we represented well. Texans still need a few pieces but no reason to doubt based on how they rebuilt an entire roster in one off season.

1 Like

This was the first thing that started improving and that was last season. From top to bottom they have been making much better decisions

1 Like

I think you mean Casserio
the GM

3 Likes

Technically. After this year you gotta believe CDR will have some say in who gets drafted.

OL’s and DB’s.

1 Like

I thought it was stupid at the time, I’m fine with it. They did the same thing they did with the Titans bringing back an old NFL franchise name. Too bad they didn’t go with Roughnecks, would’ve been a great parallel to the Oilers, now it belongs to the minor league.

I have no problem with The Texans. Roughnecks was my first choice.

I guess that’s OK but kind of mild; but I guess someone would complain if the nickname was The Murdering Savages. But you know some murdering savage would get their panties in a wad and claim discrimination. :laughing:

Would have preferred the Apollos.

Toros made sense to me, but Texans appeals to a larger statewide audience.

and how did that work out?

We converted exactly ZERO die hard Cowboy fans by trying to kiss the arse of someone that doesn’t live in the Houston region.

and again TEXIANS would have tied it into the Republic of Texas and our history there.

Heck, calling them TEXIANS would have included borders outside of the present day state of Texas!

Plus we STOLE our nickname from Dallas
ugh.

The Kansas City Chiefs moved to KC from Dallas
where they were the Dallas TEXANS
 :face_vomiting:

1 Like

But Toros appeals to a wider Latino audience while simultaneously highlighting an animal near and dear to the state’s heart. Missed opportunity there, though the real missed opportunity is Apollos, which was my top preference.

That name has already been used. The Houston Apollos were the Montreal Canadians’ farm team in the Central Hockey League in the 1960s. I remember going to some games at the Sam Houston Coliseum. The Apollos predate the Houston Aeros of the World Hockey Association.

Besides, is there anything more dated sounding than Apollos? That was the name of NASA’s project to land on the moon in the 1960s. Can we at least think of a name that is relevant this century?

Houston
the Eagle has landed.

Houston
we have a problem.

PERFECT nickname for ANY Houston team. And besides, most other Houston pro teams have had aerospace based nicknames (Astros, Rockets, Comets, Aeros, Dynamo). It’s only fitting!

1 Like

while some Mexicans watch football
the majority of non-Mexican Hispanics do not watch and are passionate soccer fans first.

Believe me, I try to help them understand American football all the time.

I’d say American Football is dominated by interest of two groups : White Americans and African Americans with the rest being outliers.

Those are the two demographic groups that are multi-generational experts on football
even though Houston may have slightly more Hispanic interest due to the large Mexican population here (same with LA) BUT definitely not enough to cater to them over the majority of fans by naming our squad the Bulls , in Spanish.

Why is it not Texicans? Sounds too much like Mexicans?

Texians= American immigrants that settled in the Republic of Texas

Tejanos= Mexican born “Texians” that lived on the Texas side of the Republic of Texas

Fun fact:

Tejano music is a fusion of the music of German, Polish and Czech immigrants in Texas + the music of Tejanos in Texas and Mexicans in North Mexico.

1 Like

Back in the Houston Wrestling days with promoter Paul Boesch, heels would use the term “Texican” to generate heat with the fans.

1 Like

The Indianapolis Colts used to be The Baltimore Colts.

The Baltimore Colts used to be The Dallas Colts.

The Kansas City Chiefs used to be The Dallas Texans. They shared The Cotton Bowl with The Cowboys. The Texans won The 1962 AFL Title by defeating The Houston Oilers, who became The Tennessee Titans.

The Baltimore Ravens used to be The Cleveland Browns. Later on The NFL approved an expansion franchise for Cleveland, and named it
The Cleveland Browns.

This can go on and on.

1 Like