RIP Ray Guy — the Greatest Punter

Did not know he was such an amazing athlete. Threw a softball 340 feet ??!!

3 Likes

First punter ever selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. Led the league in punting three times. Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2014. I remember an interview with John Madden before Guy was inducted into the Hall of Fame and the interviewer asked Madden “Is there there anyone who belongs in the Hall of Fame?” Without blinking an eye, Madden said “Yes. Ray Guy.”

Prayers to his family and may his soul RIP,

1 Like

Only full-time punter in the Hall of Fame.

1 Like

Shane Lechler has a shot, but who knows?

2 Likes

That’s sad to hear. It is also sad that so many people younger than me are passing away every day.

3 Likes

I remember him kicking it so high in the dome Billy White Shoes lost it in the lights

1 Like

No doubt Guy and Yale Lary were the best ever. But Larry also played DB for the Lions and made the Hall.

1 Like

Ray Guy was simply the best ever…the GOAT…

1 Like

He used to hit the scoreboard in the superdome

2 Likes

from the article at the top —

Paul Leroy, his high school football coach, once told me (this) story… “We had a great track team except for the field events, so we had Ray come out and try the discus,” Leroy said. “Well, he threw it further than anybody, so we took him to the meet and he won it.” That’s not all. On the way to the track meet, they taught Guy the steps to the triple jump in the aisle of the bus. And you know what happened next. “He won the triple jump, too, the first time he ever tried it,” Leroy said. “I’ll never coach another athlete like Ray Guy,” Leroy said. “Nobody will.”

2 Likes