Red & White Scrimmage August 1st

Post scrimmage interview with Sampson and Sampson pretty much says KJ is redshirting.

Sampson says he’s seen the roster for Australia’s National team. Says Josh Giddey is on it and all the NBA players. Hope Matisse Thybulle is out there too. Wish we could watch that.

4 Likes

Wished they would have said our old players would be there that’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Francis is a fouling machine lol, who fouled more Breon or Ja’vier

$head is a man among boys…

Man… I can’t wait to watch this team RUN!!!

This scrimmage was a wayyyyyy better brand of basketball than the last 2 ngl. White team scored 58 in 24mins. Both teams still played good defense. Red team didn’t have Roberts so that was a big blow but I was really impressed with our team. I still have concerns about our bigs if somebody gets hurt. But JoJo help put my mind at ease he definitely belongs. 16/36 from 3 too🔥

3 Likes

So… Rondoesque…? :grin:

That’s the real game down there… Just glad our team gets a chance to play good competition this early in the season.

1 Like

JoJo is going to have a big impact on our team success. Seems like he has picked up the playbook and rotations on defense pretty well already!

So far from what i’ve seen:

Pg - Jamal Shead
SG - LJ Cryer (#1 option on offense)
SF - Dunn
PF - TA
C - Roberts

6th man - Emmanuel Sharp

JoJo Tugler
Francis

Round out the rotation.

McFarland intrigues me because his height and length is a welcome sight! Wilson is a defense of stopper/put him on a island against a premier scorer when need to.

Walker is like a box of chocolates, you just don’t know what you’re going to get.

KJ & Lath look like red shirt/seldom used will be the route coach will go with.

2 Likes

Definitely and the fan support was actually pretty impressive as well.

Cryer, Shead and Dunn seem to be a nice fit. Dunn just has to be a threat from 3 to really make the spacing work.

Sharp and TA both look more confident and sure of themselves. TA is still figuring it out but you can see he is going to takeoff at some point. I think he may push Dunn for a starting spot during the season. Sharp is the microwave.

If Tugler was a sophomore I think he would be starting over Francis already. He has better moves, stronger base and knows how to play.

I think McFarland may get some mins depending on foul trouble but he needs more Bishop time.

Lath definitely is raw.

4 Likes

Well the reason would be the 5 guards ahead of him.

2 Likes

I think Lath used his redshirt already last year

2 Likes

Damn… Wasn’t he only here for a semester… I hate to burn it like that because he is very RAW, but coach probably thought the pg from Nevada was coming here.

1 Like

Sampson mentioned that two of the young bigs were only a year away. I certainly think Lath will develop at a good pace

“A year away is a lot better than being a year away from a year away,” That’s a good one

I think Sampson has been following Yogi Berra

4 Likes

But we’re highly likely only playing 3 of our bigs so I don’t see the harm in having a 9 man lineup. McFarland and Lath will get minutes during cupcakes.

Shead
Cryer
Dunn
Sharp
Wilson

Arceneaux

Roberts
Francis
Tugler

I don’t see Ramon getting playing time from what we saw last year and at the scrimmage. When Shead sits you can have Mylik come in so are defense doesn’t drop off. We will have plenty of scoring if Sharp and Cryer are on the floor.

Just saying that would be the reason. I think he can play some and will get time before conference but when the conference season starts and the rotation needs to tighten we will see. Needs to be a really good ball handler and leader to get that role. We do know he can defend and rebound.

TA could play some 4 opening up time for an extra guard but that doesn’t mean Wilson get minutes over Sharpe just playing more. I am pretty sure we will see Walker and Wilson throughout the season as players have to miss some time.

TA will play a lot of 4…

2 Likes

That’s exactly my thoughts after watching the scrimmage yesterday and as observed the basic content rarely changes in the course of season unless we have injuries etc. And the point remains that our front court is susceptive. We dont know if Francis can perform and stay out of foul trouble, we don’t know where Roberts is and I still dont think that Arceneaux can be successful playing the 4.

Why don’t you think TA can play the 4 in college?

1 Like