Per Duarte: "Chris Pezman is out as athletic director at Houston"

Same. I wanted to go to UT or Tech when I was in HS, turned down those opportunites, fell in love with UH and attended as a traditional student.

With the way things have gone over the last few years with our leadership’s decision making among other reasons, I am starting to question if I wasted my undergrad and alumnus years

1 Like

You don’t learn ALL of those skillls on your job…that’s the point.

College should teach you how to critically think (bevause sometimes your career veers away from your major) , network to maintain a collection of contemporaries throughout your career and the ability to make wise financial decisions from a realistic risk/reward standpoint

The group/club/greek organization you join and how you support your University after graduating (fan support, mentorship, or other areas) is interchangeable but the point is we will have more collection of those type of students, than not.

College should absolutely teach critical thinking, and that’s why core curricula exist. Of course, far too often, “core” courses (and especially those outside the Math and Science departments) wind up basically rubber-stamping an A on any student that can fog a mirror, but that’s neither here nor there. Student orgs generally serve to entrench groupthink rather than critical thought. You don’t join student orgs filled with people you blatantly disagree with; you join organizations that believe the same things you do.

Generally, the responsibilities involved in running all but a handful of student orgs are ones that I, as someone that hires entry level employees, take unseriously. It’s a mild demonstration of interest and that’s about it. As someone who held student leadership positions through High School and College, anyone that says it equips students with any sort of real workforce skill is blowing smoke.

I’ve been saying that for years!
We as alums, fans, graduates have to lead the way for the next generation.

All this finger pointing at Khator, Tilman, administration etc is going nowhere since Khator became president.

We all talk about wanting more generational fans but don’t want to act on it.
Now that birth rates are getting lower and a projected steady decline in population in the next 20 years, we really missed a golden window to build a fanbase from the graduates of the 80s and 90s as they sent their kids to other schools.

1 Like

I graduated in the top 10% of my class and got automatic admission to the other schools like A&M and UT but UH gave me the most scholarship money so that was an easy choice.

5 Likes

Plus a world class hospitality school - the Conrad N Hilton College of Global Hospitality Leadership!!!

2 Likes

BS - amazingly successful alumni come out of UH. Just plain wrong.

1 Like

They do; if and only if they absolutely hustle for the opportunities that they find. By no means does UH make it easy. Every successful UH alum worked their butt off to get where they are, in a way that certainly isn’t true of, say, Texas or A&M or Auburn alumni.

I’m of a mind that our students are generally our greatest strength as a University, and they’re treated poorly by the University itself.

Sorry guys, I had some stuff to do. Are we still talking about Pezman’s dismissal?

6 Likes

What truly successful individual had it handed to them? What I see is a lot of people who didn’t get life handed to them were able to make a great life after their time at UH. It would have been a lot HARDER for me and many others if we didn’t go to UH. Thank you UH!

Are there any updates on who might get hired to replace Pez?

7 Likes

Hopefully someone who is handed the job and doesn’t have to hustle for it

1 Like

Gee.

I can’t speak to UH undergrad, but the law school recently ranked #23 in the country for new grads hired by the nation’s 100 largest firms.

2 Likes

In before the lock
Thread hijack complete

3 Likes

This is my point! Well said.

Again I am proud of our school, but it is not Auburn, Bama, Iowa or even Miami U. We are an urban, research university. We are never going to be some flagship state school. When I say that, that is not saying we suck. Georgia Tech is not a flagship state school either, nor is Pitt, or USF. However, those schools are all excellent research universities and AAU members.

Now, that said, they also sort of tell a story about what happens if you become too selective: none of these schools have consistently strong sports programs, and more importantly, none of them have overwhelming student support for athletics.

So, again, we have to sort of decide what we want to be.

The genesis of this whole thread was increasing fan support. I don’t think you do that by turning the school into something people hate. If I wanted to go to UT or TAMU that is where I would have gone.

Man how did I miss that one! Getting tougher in my old age!! :wink:

1 Like

We have the bad student/alumni support for athletics but without the AAU status.

2 Likes

Although there are a proliferation of hospitality programs in the past 30 years, we have one of six independent colleges specializing in hospitality management. The only one with a branded operational hotel. Which by the way was ranked #1 by Hilton in hotels with less than 500 rooms recently.

1 Like

We have bad football attendance. Our basketball attendance is solid. Our football attendance was also good until the CDH disaster. That is 100 percent on TF.

Also, I want to respond to another point you made regarding alumni and children. As many on here know, my son was doing college tours last year and decided to go somewhere other than UH (or Iowa for that matter). His decision had nothing to do with the academic quality of UH. In fact UH, Miami and Iowa are pretty equal in terms of academic rankings (again according to USNWR and all that). He chose Miami because he wanted to go to a smaller school.

Also, UH alumni are not the only people who deal with kids who may not wish to follow in their parents footsteps, or for that matter, who may feel that their kid should go to a “better school”. I work with people, millionaire partners, who have gone to Kansas, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, Ga Tech, Syracuse, etc. In fact, my boss is a Jayhawk; he said point blank that if his kids went to Kansas, which is AAU by the way and has a great sports program, he would be disappointed.

His point is that everyone wants their kids to do better than them, if possible. It is not anti-UH or Kansas; it is sort of this expectations game that all of us get wrapped up in. I think if you are someone like him, who spends a lot of time with millionaires who went to Duke, Emory, Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Stanford or whatever, your idea of what you think success looks like begins to change. The whole, “keeping up with the Joneses”, I guess. The only people who don’t do that are people who went to Ivy League, MIT, Stanford, Chicago or whatever. Then of course it becomes about preserving the legacy.

1 Like

Good is a subjective word in this case because attendance was paltry under Applewhite and Levine. Herman was the happy exception.

But I do agree that fertita had a lot to do with it after Herman. To his credit, he did try to fix his mistake but ended up with Dana.

Me? I don’t recall any comment by me on this threat recently.

Academic rankings may vary but I cannot believe that the laws of science can change from school to school. Teaching engineering may be the same regardless of school (unless the faculty is truly atrocious) but what sets the Georgia techs and MiT’s of the country apart from us (UH) is the network infrastructure with top businesses.

All the more baffling why a big chunk of UH’s engineering department was sent off to BFE.

Yes, Houston has multiple business districts, but the only UH campus close to the biggest one just made it harder for students to foster connections with the business world.