Per Duarte: “Chris Pezman is out as athletic director at Houston”

17 Likes

Wow — Crazy & Unexpected!

Duarte: Raymond S. Bartlett will serve as interim AD
x.com

4 Likes

Just got this:

A Message from President Renu Khator

I have made the difficult decision to make a change in leadership. Chris Pezman will no longer serve as athletics director, and I am initiating a national search for a new vice president for intercollegiate athletics. During the transition Raymond S. Bartlett, Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance, will serve as interim director to Athletics.

Chris Pezman has ushered our athletics program through a period of incredible transformation, and we are grateful for his leadership over the past six years. He has been a pivotal part of our entry into the Big 12 Conference and championed the success of student athletes on the field, on the court and in the classroom. I know each of you also played an important role in these achievements.

I want to assure you that our commitment to building a nationally competitive athletics program remains unwavering. We understand the importance of athletics in fostering school spirit, enhancing the student experience and bringing our community together.

I also recognize that the business model of collegiate athletics is evolving. The new VP for intercollegiate athletics will lead a strategic approach to navigate these new challenges. With so much change comes opportunity. I want our athletics department— our programs, staff and student athletes— to be best positioned to seize these opportunities.

I have confidence that, together, we will achieve new heights and set new standards in collegiate athletics.

Sincerely,

Renu Khator

23 Likes

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s about to hit the fan with the softball program?

15 Likes

FYI…this was not expected.

19 Likes

I can’t say that I’m upset with this.

27 Likes

It’s not like he was actually doing his job.

9 Likes

not upset at all. Chris is a yes man. we don’t need more yes men. get someone innovative with NIL and the current landscape of college athletics, that’s what we need more than anything.

14 Likes

Holy sh**! Also, what do you mean this was not expected @pray10 ?

1 Like

What’s Jeff Luhnow doing these days? Lol (I know he is managing soccer and not coming here)

5 Likes

This is the part of Dr. Khator’s message that resonated with me.

“I also recognize that the business model of collegiate athletics is evolving. The new VP for intercollegiate athletics will lead a strategic approach to navigate these new challenges. With so much change comes opportunity. I want our athletics department— our programs, staff and student athletes— to be best positioned to seize these opportunities.”

I sense that UH is falling behind on fund raising, NIL participation and roster management with the transfer portal. These are all part of the Athletic Administration as well as individual coaches.

The recent women’s softball scandal was the last straw, when it became public and fell into Dr. Khator’s lap to address. IMO, it should have never gotten to a point of escalating.

17 Likes

Those of us in the department did not expect this at all. We’re finding out when everyone else is.

13 Likes

Time to bring in Dickey!

7 Likes

I’ll admit, I liked having a Coog as the AD.

But it’s a different day, for sure. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

6 Likes

I can’t wait to complain about the new AD!

33 Likes

I know Women’s Tennis just made a huge hire with Katarina Adamovic, and she brought in some major transfers.

That said, Softball (and Baseball) need major work.

5 Likes

Dr. Khator to Pezman today

4 Likes

Women’s basketball too.

6 Likes

Imo I thk some but not All this relates to Softball program issue. Khator does not like the University under her Leadership tarnished in any way.

2 Likes