NCAA Investigating Michigan for Play Stealing

Uh . . .

Michigan is 8-0 with their coach. Compare that to Houston and CDH. He may be a slime ball but at least Michigan is getting their money’s worth.

2 Likes

Sometimes:
Integrity > Money at least in my book, just saying

2 Likes

Are you the one who sits in section 117 with the camera?

Dude sshhhhhhhhh

Look, I’m an accountant which makes me a criminal. So maybe I’m biased but I look at all this like intelligence gathering and spying in statecraft. We sent men to the moon in the 1960’s. You mean to tell me the human mind is so lazy in this generation that you can’t develop signs that can be altered in real time.

Complaining about watching a TV and banging on a trash can lid??

Complaining because somebody from Ann Arbor might have walked on your campus and spied on you?

Whatever. GTFOH Just a bunch of pu#%

I would not be shocked if they don’t throw the book at everyone involved, after all the blowback the MLB got for giving the Astro’s players immunity for something that happened years earlier in their sign stealing scandal I think they will over do the punishment to not look bad.

I’ve become both a Dabo Sweeney and Jim Harbaugh fan in two days. Damn shame, really.

1 Like

Actually, the NCAA forbids any in-person scouting. You’re supposed to scout based on film. The primary allegation is that Stalions was buying tickets to games and having someone go and record the opposing sideline.

Technically, sign-stealing by electronic means isn’t against the rules. If Michigan had just picked up the signs from a TV broadcast, that would have been entirely sanctioned. The issue is having people attend the game and record the sideline, rather than using other means.

I hate Harbaugh, but I hope he / they get away with this.

they are paid to win and he’s found a way to do it. I still have a hard time seeing this as cheating.

I also defended the Astros so :shrugs:

2 Likes

3 Likes

hand on bible, I promise I am not photographing team signs.

1 Like

That’s what some claim happened at Central Michigan.

There was reportedly a Michigan assistant undercover on the sidelines at the CMU v. Michigan State game, writing down all of Michigan State’s signals so that they’d know them for their upcoming matchup.

I can’t believe this is a story, much less a scandal.

Note to whiny MSU coach: getting Harbaugh fired isn’t gonna make you a good coach. You can kill every snake in the jungle, but you’re still a turtle.

The rule was implemented because big teams like Michigan and the Austin School for Kids Who Can’t Read Good (etc) can pay for extra staff, travel, and tickets to scout in person, but others like Central Michigan and the Dallas Mustangs can’t. They wanted to promote competitive balance. Some things are impermissible benefits for recruiting for the same reason (Trans Am).

It’s a little different for taxpayer funded amateur athletics that are part of an academic mission than for multi million dollar professional sellouts on privately owned teams.

2 Likes

Why do you have to ruin a good thread with facts? Is this what the board has become?

Thanks a lot, mods.

2 Likes

Are we sure CMU and other small schools can’t afford to do this? Supposedly the Michigan staffer was doing this on a shoe string budget (like a couple thousand dollars). I just don’t think this is that big of an issue.

Well back in the early 90s they couldn’t.

It still helps to think of the spirit of the rule even if everyone has stupid money to some extent. Nobody would be put out if Arkansas State was doing this. But Michigan is the winningest school all time, gets bug 10 money, is 8-0, regularly in the playoff conversation, etc. Why should they have to go to these efforts when their opponents (presumably) follow a rule meant to level the resource based playing field?

And now it comes out that Alex Yood tried to meet a 13 year-old girl. I told you the Michigan AD leaked this from the beginning to lay everything at Harbaugh’s feet.