NCAA Investigating Michigan for Play Stealing

Wow, the Michigan sign stealer wore spy glasses. I didn’t know they are for commercial sale.
:sunglasses:

https://x.com/LateKickJosh/status/1719753191292535191?s=20

https://x.com/LateKickJosh/status/1719492780165120222?s=20

I like how TCU outsmarted them.

Also, I heard yesterday that Central Michigan has some additional dirt on Michigan.

We’ll see!

1 Like

North Woods College is going to get hammered for this

Who actually purchased the spy glasses and where is the receipt? That means there are video recordings on his phone. Also, who at Central Michigan helped him get a coaches shirt and sideline pass?
:thinking:

Central Michigan might have an accomplice in there mist.

Thank goodness the NCAA wasn’t in charge of the Pentagon during WW2; otherwise it would have been a rules violation of the USA to intercept Imperialist Japanese and Nazi military intelligence.

The NCAA is way behind the times.

Put audio receiving devices in football helmets and be done with silly sideline attempts to relay plays.

Audio technology has already been introduced in the NFL and MLB, why not the NCAA?

If the NCAA was in charge of the Pentagon during WWII, half of the country would be speaking German and the other half would be speaking Japanese.

3 Likes

there’s almost certainly more to this story than I’ve read up on, but im just not getting the issue.

are coaches / staff not allowed to go to other teams games? if they can, are they not allowed to watch the sidelines? thats scouting…

I have an unjustified hatred towards Jim Harbaugh but im having a hard time getting upset about this.

They are not allowed to go to other schools practices. Watching games is fine as they are expected to know they are being watched. Why should a school have to hide their signs in their own practice facilities?

Honestly though, my take is that if you have to steal signs, you simply are not good anyway. Can’t beat them on the field, so steal signs - not what I consider sportsmanship. Though I think sportsmanship has long disappeared based on reactions in this and other forums, and how most teams are run.

If stealing signs should be fair game, then so should no salary caps (which is the current NIL in college), no limits on stealing/hiring other players, no trade limits, any drugs that help, etc… Let the best team in whatever fashion be crowned champion whether they are actually the best on the field or not. (speaking both pros and college here)

1 Like

He’s Gone!

didnt realize practices were involved.

however, if the person or people who were “stealing signs” were allowed to be there then…?

The Athletic survey. I think 50 d1 coaches surveyed. The article itself is subscription.

1 Like

Yep, it is only because they were sneaking people into other schools practices, which is specifically against the rules. Watching games or TV is fair game by the rule book.

No coach/school will allow a rep from an opponent to watch and film their practices. Especially looking at the chart lowbehold posted.

We can still blame @JohnnyCougar for closed practices :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Back in the day, when the Oilers practiced on Fannin, some team (maybe more than one) was accused of getting hotel rooms facing the practice facility and observing the Oilers practices. Seems this is not an uncommon practice . . . . . or at least a modern one.

1 Like

The Patriots were pretty good

Astros?

Then why do they need to steal signs instead of just analyzing how their opponents line up on the field and know what potential plays they may run…

Bad rap!

Got game day bench passes in return for the false and erroneous accusations though. I won that one. :smiling_face:

BTW, Sumlin was going to close practices anyway. He needed a scapegoat. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

2 Likes

I believe I heard that Central Michigan is alleging that they’ve found a photo showing a UMich assistant at one of their games undercover, “scouting” MSU’s signals.

1 Like

This guy will never coach football again.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
https://x.com/dhookstead/status/1720085113508384784?s=20