Music - Concerts

I’ve always been a concert freak and always looking for live music. Love all kinds of new music. Although in my 70’s, the retro acts have no appeal… been there, done that. Concerts I have lined up are Neko Case and American Aquarium….a must see. One of those bands who’s live shows put their albums to shame. Have a trip planned to Red Rocks to see Trampled by Turtles and The Black Keys on back to back nights.
Unfortunately Gas Light Anthem had to cancel their concert here, but can’t wait to see them come back

To satisfy the latent emo in me, a must listen is Spanish Love Songs. Hard to describe but really a good listen. Always have to see Jason Isbell when he hits town…just a great show. And don’t forget the Dead Tongues!

That’s my music input for the night. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Live music is one of the very best pleasure that we can all experience. I absolutely love it. I am very fortunate that I have seen live iconic bands and unknown musical acts.

1 Like

I have never been to a terrible live concert…even the bad ones are worth going. As a complete incompetent musically speaking, I continually marvel at where music is going. I thought I had died and gone to heaven in the 60’s, but completely continue to be enthralled by what is happening now.

1 Like

100% agree with you. To be able to play is a gift.

I can’t get into much contemporary music. Of course there may well be some good stuff that I am just unaware of. The pinnacle of rock music, IMO, was the late 60s to early 80s. I don’t think any era or genre really even comes close.

1 Like

In my mind, contemporary music is what the radio plays over and over. To find the innovative good stuff, you have to dedicate yourself to exploring Spotify or whatever you to subscribe to and find a sound you like and branch off from there. I look at some of my lists and marvel how much talent is out there and will ever be heard by the masses.

3 Likes

You summed it up. I thought just the same Sam then I was frustrated at where I could find good music. This is exactly what I did. I stay close to the local scenes for live music too.

I used to go to concerts constantly, but '19 was a big travel year for me, '20 and '21 brought covid and now I have a baby under a year old. Small venue shows are especially tough for me when the headliner doesn’t play until really really late. I think I’m going to head up to the woodlands for Jack Johnson and Ziggy Marley in August.

1 Like

Saw Eric Clapton and Elton John recently and waiting for The Eagles at Minute Man Park in May.

1 Like

The Eagles are special live. Shame that it took so long for them reunite. Glenn Frey must be loving it to see his son perform from heaven.
Per the Eagles website:
Deacon Frey has decided to do his own thing.
The Houston tour stop is at the Toyota Center

Genesis at the Astrodome was one of the very best concert I have ever seen especially with 70k. The Police was also great live. I saw their last tour before they broke up in 1983/84/Synchronicity Tour. The Summit was unreal.
I did not see them when they reunited last. Ticket prices were a scam.

Saw The Eagles last time here, right before the pandemic. Very good concert!! Two sets, the album and then their greatest hits. I don’t go to many concerts in large arenas, but was impressed with the sound mix in the Toyota Center. You should have a great time at the concert!

1 Like

I would push it into the late 80’s. Bands like GNR, Crue, Poison and even bands like the black crows carried it into about 1989.

With that said, and taking a right hand turn, I am catching the Bellamy Brothers on April 30 and Mickey Gilley on May 14. Been going to a lot of smaller venues like Tomball crossing and 2920 Roadhouse.

Also going to catch REK one more time this summer before he hangs it up for good at the end of the year.

2 Likes
2 Likes

GNR was pretty good, Crue was meh, Poison trash. The hair bands were more style than substance. Of course music taste is largely subjective.

Both my kids are early in their 20’s. Concerts we have gone to over the years that I can remember off the top of my head:

Santana, Eagles, Blue Oyster Cult, Elton John, REO Speedwagon, Moody Blues, Alan Parson Project, Alice Cooper, Heart, Doobie Brothers, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac…

If Ronnie James Dio were alive…by son would flip out and pay big bucks to see him and/or Black Sabbath.

Needless to say, they are big classic rock fans…

1 Like

Bunch of classic rock and 80s fans on this thread.
I’m starting to think a bunch of y’all may have 10-15 years on me. :laughing:

Meanwhile my office is full of guys 10-15 years younger than me. On march 11 I was surprised to find I was the only one there that knows who 311 is.

Now you’re in my generation. Lol

1 Like

Guns N Roses….
Tomorrow night. Minute Maid Park. I’ll be there sitting behind the 3rd base dugout area.

Pearl Jam….
Saw them in Ft. Worth two weeks ago.

Foo Fighters…
Appearing at 713 Music Hall in October, but the smaller venue has driven ticket prices to astronomical levels. Didn’t want to spend $600, so this time around, I pass.

Depeche Mode…
Undecided about attending this concert. Goth rock is an acquired taste.

1 Like

Agree…missed the opportunity for reasonable Foo Fighter tickets. Will be looking for last minute deals.