Kendall Rogers: College Baseball’s Golden Age receives jolt with more scholarships on the way

Article free for today.

Coming fall of 2025.
Barring a baseball miracle, the next staff will have a lot to work with.

2 Likes

This has been talked about for several years now….i spoke with parents about this as far back as 10-12 years ago….if it becomes a reality it would be incredible….i wonder how this affects D-2 and D-3 ball….

The downside depending on how you look at it or anyone that cares……D-2 will be extremely watered down.

If they do indeed go with 35 full schollys for D-1( which I think is 10 too many) numbers 25-35 will not be true D-1 guys for most teams….you will have D-2 level players with full scholarships on D-1 teams.

And then a trickle down effect to D-2 and so on….

I hope it’s looked at and they only give 25-26.

This will cause the baseball portal to go nuts as well……gonna be a lot of kids sitting if there are 35 ships.

1 Like

Adding 23.3 scholarships would be a big deal at UH but help well funded privates, like Baylor and TCU, which now have a hard time getting kids to pay a big chunk of their costs.

1 Like

Question is how many later round HS players will choose college over the minors

Going to be the smart option for many.

Also a whole different caliber of international player with a free ride.

UH international guys lately have been horrible except Paul Schmitz.
They gave UH no shot at times in 24 out of the bullpen.
Only on a D1 roster season after season because they could pay their way ?

The high schoolers that are worthy of getting drafted are getting a full scholarship if the choose college……at the least they are getting enough of an athletic scholarship that a little academic money to supplement will give them what amounts to a full scholarship.

I don’t think it’s going to have kids choosing college over pro ball.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is going to have kids who get drafted high choosing college over Pro Ball, either. Hundreds of thousands of dollars is hard to turn down. I know what I would encourage my kid to do. With those players, it is all about your second contract. It is about getting there as soon as possible.

1 Like

Translation – baseball is one sport mid Major’s can compete consistently on a regular basis at a high level. The greedy power four wants to institute economic segregation as usual.

If anything this helps mid majors.
It gives them more scholarships to hand to really good D-1 players that don’t want to sit the bench.

And there’s really no such thing as a P-4 in baseball….sure, they are there but it’s not a big deal for most kids like it would be for football and basketball.

No it doesn’t - mid major guys who didn’t get much cash from an A&M went to mid majors who could offer more

Now those guys go to A&M from the jump - especially pitchers -

What can a mid major offer more than a P4 even with a scholarship increase?

The days of east Carolina dominating are over as UNC can offer their front line guys

A better chance to play and get drafted?

Top players aren’t just chasing money - they have eyes on the Show, and getting garbage innings for two years isn’t gonna get them there.

1 Like

I’ll bet you a million dollars you are completely wrong.
I know you think you know….but you don’t know. :joy:

Of course, some of you are assuming that the mid majors are going to be able to pay the players. Those schools aren’t exactly rolling in dough right now. They will be able to offer a chance to play and a full scholarship, which is a huge deal. Even if you get a good offer in Power 5 right now, you are still paying a pretty good amount of money to be on the team.