Jared Harris

I saw where local guard Jared Harris committed to Memphis. Weren’t we recruiting him ?

On August 7, he dropped his Top 10 list

And UH didnt make the cut. There was some interest early on it seemed

1 Like

Ranked as the 3rd best player in TX in 2024 Class

Robert Miller and Nic Codie, the (2) TX players ahead of him

1 Like

The UH staff stopped recruiting him a while ago.

1 Like

Probably because we had no chance at him

Maybe he doesnt fit Sampson’s culture given he didnt have UH top 10 and being the local school basically… Because we know he has the talent.

2 Likes

With a Texas kid I lean strongly to the side that we weren’t interested.

2 Likes

Why, we lose great players in Texas to big name schools all the time. Some kids just don’t like our culture and also want to play in up tempo offenses.
To me that’s no big deal because we normally get our share.
My concern is getting talented bigs somewhere along the line. We have not been great at developing second tier bigs. Hopefully that changes

5 Likes

Didn’t we lose a good pg prospect from out of HS (from NV) to Unlv and they’re not a bigger name than UH right now.

I laugh at the guys who automatically assume we aren’t interested in a kid because he bumps us off his list lol. Like I said before, we are not everyone’s cup of tea.
Guy V lost some really good local players over the years. It happens.
But like I said we are getting our fair share. I don’t expect to compete with Kansas, Texas and some of the high dollar recruiting machines.
Sampson does go after certain type kids who fit his program. But anyone who thinks he gets them all are down right silly.
And I will go out on the limb and say this, by the time young Sampson takes over I think our recruiting will kick into a new gear. I think he will be more saavy dealing with the young generation when it comes to NIL.
If he turns out to be as good a coach as dad then watch out!

7 Likes

Style of play, getting to the league quickly are big factors

But right there also, NIL. For transfer portal & HS recruiting.

UH is getting better at it. But Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU can probably offer much more

This was actually the staff not seeing a fit and cooling off.

1 Like

No problem, if true. Just pointing out that too many on here don’t understand that some kids actually want to play elsewhere…

1 Like

We need shooters. Guys who can hit open shots on the perimeter to help spread the floor. We did not have it last year and it killed us in the S16.

Hopefully we take care of this for the upcoming season.

1 Like

Agree, and if Arceneaux can get zoned in along with Sharp and the two transfers this may be the best shooting team we have had under coach Sampson…

1 Like

@MRCoog he said shooting team

Gray, Davis, Brooks

vs

Cryer, Sharp, Dunn/Arceneaux

I think 2017-18 team had a better top 3 shooters. But, next year we have about 5 guards who can hit 3s. Galen wasn’t a good 3pt shooter his Jr year. (4 of 22) that season

2018-19 Gray and Davis were great. But rest of the guards, were inconsistent 3pt shooters

Wes Van Beck was the 4th shooter on that team :fire::fire::fire: :heart_eyes:

I dunno man…

Gray, Brooks, Davis & Van Beck were all nice from the 3 pt line.

2 Likes

Thats fair. Van Beck was solid. That season:

*Gray (61 of 170) 35.9%

*Davis Jr (103 of 240) 42.9%

*Brooks (83 of 198) 41.9%

*Van Beck (35 of 93) 37.6%

Big drop off after those 4. Im confident in Cryer & Sharp.

Shead, Dunn and Arceneaux are the question marks. Dunns a good shooter, but will he get/take alot of 3pt looks, or be more of a driver

Gray was like 25% usual time, 60% crunch time

1 Like

This ain’t UH of 10 years ago and I have no problems if a guy chooses another school. With the local kids whom we really want not many are going to completely ignore us unless they have been told they are not priority.

1 Like