Is this year’s schedule the toughest schedule we’ve ever had since the SWC?

Take away all other factors: new coach, new roster, etc…

1. We open with UNLV (Lost to Boise in the 2023 MWC Championship)
  2. Oklahoma - projected to be a AP top 15 team at the opening of the season
  3. Follows with Rice, Cincy and Iowa State which can all go either way judging by last year
  4. Then we have the REAL GUANTLET: TCU, Kansas, Utah, Kansas State, Arizona all back to back in that order (3 of whom finished ranked last season)
  5. Seasons ends with Baylor and BYU which can go either way

This season is gonna be… BRUTAL

3 Likes

Yep, that means we will have a lot of quality wins for our resume to get better seeding in the CFP.

26 Likes

Starting to sound like Holgorsen

3 Likes

“Let’s go out and win some games”

Let 'em know Mike!

3 Likes

No…TCU, Kansas, Utah, Kansas State, Arizona…is far from a gauntlet.

We arent playing in the SEC or B1G with a murderers row of Alabama- LSU- Texas- Oklahoma-Tennessee-Florida
Or
Ohio State- Michigan- USC- Penn State

CDH, with no discipline or leadership, managed to beat a few a Big 12 schools and we took a playoff squad to the wire.

I expect us to be MUCH better next season!

8 Likes

What year since the SWC collapsed did we have a harder schedule?

Some? You are supposed to coach winning them all.

I believe the 2015 squad played 4-5 ranked teams and ended with a team that made the playoff the year before.

The 2016 season opened with a top 5 playoff team the year before (OU was BAD in 2023) plus we had top 5 Louisville with the Heisman winner plus a few other ranked teams

1 Like

You never know how good some teams will end up being, but OU, Kansas, K State, Arizona, BYU, Iowa St, Utah, TCU…THAT is a tough slate…

1 Like

I don’t know if these teams were really bad back in the day or we’ve been down so long but, with the exception of OU, early 90 Coogs would be licking their chops and making plans for the CFB with that schedule.

Times have changed.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if we proved to be the toughest game our opponents face. Thank goodness we have CWF leading the team.

if Donovan can fix his accuracy, then I think UH could do some real damage on offense

4 Likes

I agree…why are we being picked to finish so low?

We weren’t at the bottom last year and we are bringing in a new coach, that actually has a pulse, plus we have a senior quarterback that is a top NFL ptospect

2 Likes

If by early 90 you mean 1990, then yes. 1991 the bottom fell out, and it would have been could the coogs go .500 with only the die-hards thinking the over… Though many would have been positive going into that 91 season I think. Kansas and Iowa St being pretty positive for UH wins, and K State and AZ were beginning upswings so tougher.

From 1991 to 2001 we were lousy to horrible in 9 of those 11 years…Worst period in our whole history, thank you Dana Dimel and Kim Helton…we could not ,and did not, beat hardly ANYBODY…Kim won 4 games his first 3 years…F o u r…Anyone who wasnt there does not know what BAD is…We who WERE there? We do…

4 Likes

Yep - you’re right. Poor phrasing of timeframe. Late 80’s was more the sweet spot.

Was 1991 the Miami game? Wow we were hyped going into that one!

How many offensive lineman return from last year? Fritz brought in a number of new OL but how good are they?

I’m curious to see how well the o-line plays with all the new o-linemen. If they can’t run block or protect the QB, people will complain about Smith’s inaccuracy or how our RBs can’t run the balll.

I really hope some of these OL recruits turn out to be good since next year will be equally tough with so many seniors departing from the o-line.

I only started following in 2015, but wasnt that the year that we played like 4 or 5 ranked teams in the AAC?

Cant remember if it was 2015 or 2016, but i believe we played a good number of ranked teams on one of those yrs.