Future Realignment Thread

The acc contract is truly until 2027. It can be re-negotiated then.

FLST strategy is to refuse to sign any post 2027 contract. Giving them leverage for an affordable buyout

1 Like

SEC’s Sankey visits, talks with trustees, leaders at South Carolina on changing sports landscape (msn.com)

How Florida State’s Situation with the ACC Could Trigger More Conference Realignment (msn.com)

I think I mentioned about a year ago that the one thing that could undermine the SECs dominance other than NIL was political issues. Well here you go:

Mayor of Birmingham advises Black athletes to avoid Alabama colleges if anti-DEI bill passes?

I think this is only the beginning.

3 Likes

Alabama wasn’t poised to do well in a post NIL world anyway.

Poor state
Poor alums
Poor t-shirt fans
No major cities for NIL marketing opportunities
Bigger NIL schools entering the SEC
especially UT which is poised to be king of the NIL

Saban saw the writing on the wall and got OUT!

Of course, he had to take a shot at Texas A&M’s NIL dominance begore he left.

He knows Alabama can’t compete, long term, with those powers.

NIL is a different world

1 Like

I agree with all this. I think this DEI issue will have more of an impact on some of the OOS talent that Bama has attracted, especially the run of California players they have been getting the past few years.

BIG coaches in states like CA, WA, OR, MI, MN, PA, MD, etc, will use this to get recruits.

1 Like

I think this take is a little bit out over its skis. Keep in mind that when it comes to driving a region’s buying power, the biggest competition for Bama athletes in Alabama is Auburn, who they pretty easily beat. A&M and especially Texas, on the other hand, almost certainly get out-competed by sharing a state with one of the most profitable franchises in Sports.

As a quick litmus test, which one of these do you think would drive the most revenue for an advertiser?

• Arch Manning
  • CJ Stroud
  • idk, whoever the QB is at A&M
  • Dak Prescott

I think the most recognizable college athlete on that list is in third place. Jalen Milroe, on the other hand, is very clearly #1 in the State of Alabama. If you’re a Bama fan (or an Auburn fan, or an Ole Miss or Mississippi State fan) college NIL can drive your buying power much more easily than it can for a Texas or A&M fan, where, A&M cultism aside, they have to compete with other professional teams in the state.

Unfortunately, actual advertising use has little to do with current NIL collectives.

1 Like

We will have to see. Bama has huge donors all around the country.

This is true.

Don’t underestimate Bama’s power to pour money in athletics. They’ll be fine even in the age of NIL.

I think that if the Cowboys want to win a Super Bowl, they should find a new QB.

Well
they definitely aren’t donating to the academic side.

Alabama and LSU have embarrassing low endowments for schools of their profile

1 Like

Gotta have priorities I guess

1 Like

https://oira.ua.edu/factbook/reports/other-student-related-info/distribution-of-alumni-by-state/201440.html

213K Alum - 122K live in Alabama.

To put in perspective, UH has 297K alum, 63 percent live in Houston and 75 percent live in Texas.

However, this is a bit deceiving. The reason so many more Bama alum live outside of AL is because AL sucks. The economy is small and does not produce enough high quality jobs to employ a lot of Bama grads. Also, Bama is not the only game in town. UAB and Auburn are both higher ranked than Bama and they tend to have grads in STEM fields that are in higher demand. It is one of the reasons Bama throws so much money at OOS HS students with STEM focus.

With that said, I don’t think Bama has a particularly wealthy alumni base. I cannot even think of a billionaire that is a Bama grad. Auburn has three or four at least (Tim Cook -Apple CEO, Jimmy Weakes (Wikipedia founder), and Jimmy Raynes, a large land baron who pretty much finances most of Auburn athletics).

Compare to Bama’s alumni:

No comparison.

1 Like

What does Alabama have other than college football?

They have a good law school.

But undergrad?

Meh.

1 Like

This article is behind a paywall.

2 Likes

You can read it if you enter immersive reader from the URL bar.

or on an iPad, hold down on the Aa in the URL bar for a few seconds.

2 Likes

Wasnt UMass in MAC or partial membership like a decade ago?

1 Like