Divisions?

Sounds good doesn’t work. Isu is a big 8/12 legacy team not the other guys. Back to the drawing board.

1 Like

Yeah, we’re not getting a Texas pod. Wishful thinking.

1 Like

This would also be good for players and gives them a chance to play home and away against each opponent if they stay 4 years.

Realistically I think they have no choice but to do it that way. Geography and the made for TV rivalries simply means they can’t say no to it. And that format gives them a game in Texas every year so they have no leverage to argue against it.

Are we obligated to have three non-conference games?

They will be fine and honestly they don’t have enough power to argue against it.

Nope.

UCF and us are kinda the 2 new odd ducks in the Texas/Oklahoma numbers game in our case and the location game in UCF case. It will be:
UCF, UH, Cincy, WVU.
The Utah/Az schools
The remaining Texas schools + OSU.
Colorado, KU, KSU, Iowa State.

1 Like

They said that but that was also before we added a bunch of teams. I don’t buy that argument anymore and it really doesn’t work in a world were money is all that matters.

I am unsure if the conference would be willing to subtract a non-conference in efforts to add an additional non-division/non-pod game per year? Are cougars still married to home and homes with Rice? What is the odds we get a home in home with an SEC team, i.e. Texas?

I somewhat agree. Plus the risks of a four team conference playoff means you risk a .500 team winning the conference championship.

It can depend on how much inventory slots our media partners need to fill with quality games . That’s one reason the SEC only plays 8 and then schedule a “cupcake”, ESPN has enough inventory in place for them to do that .
The Big XII has been at least one P5, a G5 and a FCS for non conference schedules

Any soon as UCF was our late November game.
I get it. Space City Clash is marketable.

Guessing WVU & Cinn get a heavy dose of FL/TX to recruit around.
ISU would benefit even more.
WVU has Western Pa in backyard. Cinn in still prime HS fb OH.

“Texas schools + OSU.”

Should be UH but if its Okie Lite that will be ugly. I will watch those games.

I have a feeling divisions is how the Big 10 and Big 12 will save costs…but I am game for it either way. The Big 10 could do a “Tripod” with large blocks keeping all the west coast together.

SEC has 16 and isn’t going to divisions.

2 Likes

Interesting, SEC is a little less spread out than Big 12 and Big 10. Gonna be interesting.
18 teams would make the pods easier, OR ditch an extra non-conference to maximize the conference reach. Fun times, fun day.

Why have Baylor and TCU in different divisions or pods then stipulate they must play. Just put them in the same division or pod. Tech and UH match up fine.

Though I still like protected rivalries

1 Like

What is the fascination with pods?

SEC and B1G don’t have divisions/pods but rivals. Only one 16 team conference used pods and that did not end well.

2 Likes

I think it is more that the Big 12 will not group all 4 Texas teams in one division similar to the North Carolina schools in the ACC and California schools in the old PAC-12.

Let’s be honest, every team in the new Big 12 will want at least 1 football game in Texas per season similar to how every old PAC-12 school had one game in California for recruiting.

1 Like

Yep. This is the most fair setup. Gives the rest of the conference exposure to Texas equitably. It will be a tough sell for Iowa State but somebody has gotta be odd man out.