Divisions?

Good stab at it. Although I think permanent rivals should be slightly different for basketball and football.

1 Like

I would be fine with them the same for all sports or rotating for some like basketball. either way.

I don’t think there would be a significant difference for basketball if done with the idea of balance and rivalries vs just pairing the current top teams.

1 Like

That is my thinking.

If it is, then UH in the east along with UCF, Cincy, WVU, ISU, BU, OSU, and Kansas, makes sense.

I would prefer that we do not have all of the Texas teams in one division. Since UH and Baylor are furthest east, then that would be a good dividing line. Plus, it also splits up DFW area and it provides balance, since you would have one large Metro with a smaller one (Houston/Waco) and (DFW/Lubbock).

Keep Baylor out, rest is good for west. Texas schools minus Baylor plus byu plus pac schools.

I feel like the new Big 12 will put the 4 Texas teams in different divisions so every member can have a game in the state of Texas for recruiting, with the stipulation that TCU and Baylor keep their annual game similar to how it is with Miami and FSU in the ACC.

Houston/Baylor in one division
Tech/TCU in another division

2 Likes

UH vs Baylor works for me. UH and Baylor have rivalry being the provate school through politics got into the orginal Big12 over UH which was supposed be the public universities spot. They also stole are coach and have refused to play us until they are now forced to this year.

2 Likes

Dont forget cancelling a game against us

3 Likes

No divisions but for football 4 pods for scheduling. Play everyone in your pod every year and 1 home and 1 road game against each of the other pods. West) Arizonas and Utahs. South) Texases. North) Colorado, OSU, Kansases East) big mess

3 Likes

As I said they have not played us in decades and canceled a game when had the chance too. Baylor sucked on the of UT for years and only reason survived. In the old SWC it was UH who dominant over Baylor.

I thinkthe Big12 does need a conference championship game because it looks better for winning and getting a better playoff spot. Im not sur how set up a conference championship game when haw pods.

TV $$$ has ruined college sports !!

Ba humbug !

1 Like

It looks like the geographical divisions might be based on the groups below.

I know the Big 12 will not put all Texas teams in one division but one can dream.

Stipulation: TCU and Baylor must play annually and Houston and Tech must play annually.

Assuming we get a 9 game conference schedule, it will be the other 7 teams in the division and 2 others from the other side every year.

East:
Houston
Baylor
Oklahoma State
UCF
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Kansas
Kansas State

West:
TCU
Texas Tech
Iowa State
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Utah

2 Likes

Football teams play in divisions, no matter how many teams. Pods are what green peas grown in.

1 Like

I’m in favor of this pod system with 9 conference games. You rotate playing another pod each season with the 8th and 9th games coming from one opponent each from the other two pods. Allows for a good rotation of games and nobody gets stuck with the same opponents.

It has but glad we’re in finally. Timing was perfect bc if the big12 waited , they would have skipped over us, Cincy and ucf (maybe)

I liked the old regional conferences with 8 members or so

1 Like

One of the big reasons i prefer 4 pods instead of 2 divisions is the concept of not just a championship game, but a semi final playoff between pod winners and then a championship game.

1 Like

Also, the two divisions mean if you only play 8 conference games, you would meet an opponent from the other division once every 8 years of playing.

I like keeping a rotation that makes sure you play every member every 2-3 years.

2 Likes

pods of 4 will allow you to play every team in the conference twice every 4 years, and every team will visit your stadium at least once every 4 years.

3 Likes

I gotta believe it will be 4 pods. 3 pod games, 2 from the other 3 pods for 9 conference games. Top 2 records play in the conference championship game. You play pod teams every year and all other teams every other year. Looks like we will get the WVU, Cincy, UCF pod though if I had to guess unless OSU takes our spot in that pod and they keep a true Texas pod.

Pod’s actually work the best. A 9 game conference schedule where you play the 3 teams in your pod plus a 2-2-2 home, away format ensures you play every team in the conference every 2 years. This also ensures you have a home and away game with every team every 4 years. And for those looking to recruit Texas it guarantees a game in Texas every year. Also leaves room for 3 non conference games or 2 if we decide to make the 12th game a 4 team playoff.

Pods:

1. Pac Pod

BYU
Utah
Arizona
ASU

1. Texas Pod

UH
Baylor
Tech
TCU

1. Legacy Pod: