Coaching carousel

@Hill the OU fanbase will love Kellen, until he goes below .500 in the SEC

That OU job for hoops, in the SEC is not a good job. They need a new arena

I think they’re a middle of the pack program. Like A&M. And how much are people wanting to spend on NIL for hoops

When Football is king

1 Like

I agree with all of that, just saying his name is for sure going to be talked about.

1 Like

Kellen knows at some point his dad is going to hang it up. He knows he’s the coach in waiting. Would OU be a nice opportunity for Kellen given he played there and graduated from there? Absolutely.

However, he understands what it takes to build their culture, and how long it takes to do this. To find the right players. So I wouldn’t see him being the type of guy who would bounce around. Meaning he takes the OU job (hypothetically) and then five yrs from now his dad retires and UH offers Kellen the job.

Also, if Kellen left he’d have to build a staff. I don’t think neither Kelvin or Kellen would be good with him taking anyone on the UH staff to OU. Plus he sees how pivotal the role that his sister plays and also the facilities that are in place and the relationship with the AD, President and TF. All of that is here at UH in Houston. Does he also want to relocate his family? Does he want to take his young kids away from Grandma + grandpa?

Need SO many things in order to make things work and I just don’t see Kellen walking away from all of this. He also has the opportunity to work for his father every single day and to share all of these awesome memories they’re experiencing together.

I would be very surprised if Kellen walked away from this. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

Kelvin ain’t coaching five more years we are down to one or two more max, he has been hinting about retiring ALOT in his media talks this year, subtle hints but definitely thinking about it

1 Like

Perhaps. His current contract says another 3 yrs. That to me, seems right. I think he’ll retire after that.

Retire early and walk away from $5-10 million dollars

1 Like

I watched a bit of the Go Coogs interview with Kellen last night. Was incredibly impressed with him. I think he’s soaked up every lesson his dad ever taught him about honesty, character and strength.

I am looking forward to his stint as head coach.

4 Likes

Yeah he may stay 3 more hard to turn down 5 million dollars lol

CKS after he retired talking to Kellen about UH basketball….

I want Kellen to be my life coach.

3 Likes

I think Quannas gets a head coaching job at some point too.

3 Likes

That’s what I was going to come in here to say: Quannas and Hollis are probably loyal to Kelvin, but once he retires, Kellen will have to think about who will replace those guys once they inevitably get the head coaching gigs that they deserve.

Would love to be wrong though.

1 Like

If Kellen gets offered the OU job he would have to seriously consider it. It is his Alma Mater.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think Kellen turns down the OU job, if offered. It’s a fantastic opportunity, and he’s waited his turn. Even as someone who believes that alumni hires rarely work out, it’s tempting to try.

1 Like

Agreed. OU could be a very good job. The Sampsons said how happy they were there.

But right now Houston is the better job.

There are rumors out there that Porter Moser is wanting to leave OU because of the lack of NIL and funding for the upgrades he wants in facilities

OU made the Final Four in '16. Their records since 2016. Double digit losses every season.

Im curious how much consistent NIL they can raise.

Big 12 is a great league.

But SEC in terms of NIL is at a different level. Is OU basketball ready for that?

Sorry not trying to beat a deadhorse, but coaches had said it. Recruiting has changed drastically with NIL.

And fanbases expectations have also. Now, people want a quick fix. So new coaches may not be given 4-5 yrs

McLean will be on the short list of phone calls.

That’s not going to interest Kellen in the least.

I encourage everyone to watch the Kellen interview. It is about an hour long. It took me several sittings to watch the entire portion with Kellen but well worth it. For those of you who want some behind the scene nuggets, the interview does not disappoint.

2 Likes

I get it, Moser was in Chicago. DePaul and Big East is all basketball and catholic schools, but DePaul is 10 times worse than UH was at it’s lowest point