Cfp is on the verge of going to14 schools or...the big10 and sec to secede?

Miami is not going to do anything unless they have certainty of landing in the Power 2

It’s not worth litigating your way out just to join the Big 12 and make roughly the same amount of money

If their league starts to implode, they will happily move to Big 12 to stabilize their situation…Who KNOWS what situation in ACC will be if schools start jumping…Maybe nothing happens after FSU and Clemmie leave…or maybe it becomes a free for all…What does ESPN ultimately want to happen? THAT is the important question…ACC could lose 2 schools…or they could lose 10…the next year will be very telling.

NC A.D. Read between the lines:

Oh there leaving, just a matter of time. They gone.

It’s all going to come down to how this lawsuit with FSU/Clemson vs. ACC is settled.

You have to remember that the additions of SMU, Cal & Stanford essentially saves the conference from imploding should FSU, Clemson and UNC leave. Both contractually but also in terms of the media deal value. Everyone in the conference other than FSU, Clemson & UNC voted to add the 3 new schools.

The only way other schools will leave is if the lawsuit somehow results in the voiding of the entire Grant of Rights. If not, then I believe some sort of settlement will be made just for FSU and Clemson. UNC will probably wiggle their way out as well, but those 3 schools and Virginia are really the only schools that have certainty of landing in the P2 which makes it worth paying any fees.

It’s not worth it for a Miami to pay all those fees just to join another conference with essentially the same payout structure

Exactly, if the ACC ONLY loses 2-4, they backfill with the likes of UCONN, USF, Tulane, SDSU and call it a day.

Even with 2-4 of those additions they will be EQUAL to the Big 12 which they are AHEAD of right now.

I don’t see the Big 12 adding ACC schools unless

• There is a huge P2 raid for a 2 x24 P2 (which will also include a raid of the Big 12 btw)
  • Enough members collectively leave to void the GOR

Not sure where you mean. The additions of SMU, Cal and Stanford make backfilling moot. There’s no need to backfill even if FSU, Clemson & UNC leave. The ACC won’t need to expand.

That being said, whatever happens with this lawsuit is going to directly determine the future of the conference. If the ACC decides to take it to court and loses, then the ACC in its entirety is dead as night. If they decide not to take it to court, then I fully expect some kind of settlement allowing the 3 teams to leave at an agreed price.

The other problem the ACC has right now is the media deal. If ESPN doesn’t take up the extension for whatever reason, then you bet your butt that schools like Miami and Georgia Tech are most likely going to start raising eyebrows if not already.

True…that was a preemptive strike to survive a minor raid (2-4 schools). They could always add brands IF they think they are valuable adds…like a UCONN

Im not in the camp that M2 brands are going to freak out and make a lateral move to the Big 12 …nor it’s a slam dunk for the Big 12 to add MORE tweener brands.

Do we really want to be the conference of TWENTY misfit toys??

It would make it harder for us to build an upper tier of brands within our conference and harder for our existing members to land a playoff spot

Now!..if Virginia…North Carolina…Clemson…Florida State…even North Carolina State/ Virginia Tech become available …you seriously consider adding them but I’m not thrilled with the Louisville/ Georgia Techs/ Miami/ Pitts of the world

I just don’t think its worth it, and once the 3 schools inevitably leave, I don’t think ESPN is going to want to be a sole partner with the ACC anymore.

While I think ESPN is happy completely robbing FSU and Clemson, I also don’t think they want to continue paying for this conference the way they are now. There are schools in the ACC who still want to be power schools in the long run such as Miami and Louisville, who I think end up in the Big 12 when all is said and done

sorry for the run on sentences

So theyre leaving the NCAA playoff, right if this happens or do they want the best of both worlds ?

I see it more like adding SDSU, WSU, OSU and UConn. But at the end of the day I do believe we will see much more than two to four schools leaving.
At least I see FSU, Clemson, NC, Duke, Virginia, Miami, VT, GT and NCSt gone thus killing the acc. All of it is orchestrated by espn.
Now think about the following. Is there one team suing the BIG 12 about leaving?
No.
This means the acc is history. More than likely it will happen in the next six months or before the 2027 deadline to renew their acc media contract.

This says the Fla st vs Acc will be prob decided by April 9th

I read it that the jurisdiction may be decided by April 9th; however litigation like this could likely go on for several months or even years.

1 Like

Apparently Miami is about to enter the fray!

1 Like

This. If there is a breakaway, there will not be an SEC or BIG. So all of those schools in those two conferences that have been just enjoying the ride (Nebraska, Illinois, Rutgers, Miss State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Mizzou, etc.) will be kicked to the curb.

Again, unless the government gets involved this will happen.

Nebraska, which sells out its stadium for who knows how long, and has chartered 747’s for fans to go to bowl games, is going to get kicked to the curb?

Puhleeez

It’s not about winning. It’s about money. That’s why OU was the wallflower following UT around even though OU has scoreboard

Stumbled across this article while working late. Interesting read. A book is coming out soon.

ESPN doesn’t care about sellouts, but media markets. Trust me, I take no joy in this; Iowa will probably be left out too, and it also sells out every game.

What they actually want are eyeballs on tv sets to sell advertising. Nebraska offers that because their alumni watch Nebraska football on tv regardless of win/loss record.

Selling out stadiums means millions of alumni and their friends and family who couldn’t go to the game watch it on tv instead.

As far as your comment on Iowa, you’re mistaken about their tv viewership draw as well and their importance to the big ten making money.