CBS: USC and UCLA to Big Ten: What's next for Pac-12, Notre Dame, ACC, Big 12 with realignment just getting started

I know another thread is overkill but this addresses issues from multiple threads.

Realignment is just getting started

Does the Pac-12 have a future?

The Notre Dame question

Addition and subtraction?

Rose Bowl-ed over

1 Like

I like having seventeen threads on one topic. It allows me to take both sides of an argument and not be held accountable.

22 Likes

Good article to have in its own thread I think. A couple of notes to give pause:

“The Big Ten made this move likely within a month of a forthcoming media rights deal announcement. It has already come to a primary rights agreement with Fox, and industry sources told CBS Sports it would not be surprising if Fox declined to partner with either the Big 12 or Pac-12 in new deals going forward.”

" For now, there is no interest from the Big 12 to take any Pac-12 schools. When a chance presented itself Thursday for the Big 12 board of directors to discuss these developments, one high-ranking Big 12 official said, “Why?”

That doesn’t mean the Arizona schools may not eventually migrate to the new Big 12. There may be some value with the Phoenix market and being able to expand the conference’s membership to 14. It does mean there is a reckoning coming for the Pac-12 where – for the most part – the appetite for football pales in comparison to the rest of the country.

“We’re not obsessed with that right now,” said Lawrence Schovanek, president of Texas Tech, when asked about realignment on Wednesday, “but nobody has said having 12 members in the Big 12 is the magic number.”"

Perhaps CBS would want to stay in the College Football game or maybe the Big 12 ends up selling its games to a streaming service “Apple TV” “Amazon” etc. It would be something though if ESPN and Fox just decided to make college football the AFC and NFC with 2 leagues,

1 Like

It is interesting that they bring up jettisoning some existing schools from the Big 10 and the SEC.

1 Like

Their is going to be a culling why pay 100m or 50M or 60M valuation for schools in markets who are not worth that valuation…schools like Kansas, And others like them in small markets are screwed. Schools like UH, on a bigger stage are going to be golden, the numbers in the past have proven when UH plays on the big stage they get eyeballs One brilliant thing the B12 did was add 3:urban schools, and BYU with there Mormon support. Which is a equivalent imo of big city potential viewership. If they remaining schools in PAC don’t increase the pie, makes no sense to invite them, you have to consult your TV rights partners for that. From the article it may not be Fox or ESPN which makes sense if you think about it, with that said the B12 will have media rights partners. Question is, whom? CFB will need a 3 conference and possibly 4th conference, They will be considered, B league conferences imo. Good article deserved it’s own post

I wonder if Schovanek would say same thing on Thursday, when usc / ucla news broke.

1 Like

Clemson
Florida St
Notre Dame
Oregon
Washington

Are the next dominoes to fall.

2 Likes

Only one I’d take off the list is Clemson. They weren’t good until Dabo, and being in a rural state, etc., etc., no guarantee they’ll be good in 15 years. More likely, they’ll resemble South Carolina more than Bama. However, you’ve tagged all the value left.

I’d add Miami, maybe, as they get eyeballs because people hate them or love them. Will ESPN let those ACC schools squirm out of media rights and kill off the ACC?

“It would be something though if ESPN and Fox just decided to make college football the AFC and NFC with 2 leagues,”, that’s really the question the B12, Leftover Pac and ACC has to answer and respond to. Else risk becoming G5s.

How much money does Comcast or Paramount want to spend on college football? Since geography is now irrelevant there seems like an opportunity to rip apart the Second Tier 3 and create a new third conference with all the rest of the remaining properties. Something like -

Notre Dame
Clemson
Florida State
Miami
Washington
Oregon
North Carolina
Duke
Kansas
7 more

Or, merge the Big 12 and Pac 12 together and if you’re Comcast get Notre Dame in it too.

Eventually you have the BigPac in a partnership with the ACC as a counterpart to the B10SEC. Around 40 programs on each side.

We just need our Broadway Joe. I actually do think ND stays Independent but aligns with the House of Lords over the House of Commons.