Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

As has also been said before, those brands are nowhere close in either size or even historical quality to those the Big 12 added.

Any TV contract they bring in will be well below the Big 12’s.

All have weak attendance, poor fan base size, and in the case of three out of four, all-time LOSING (sub .500) records, and the fourth (USF) has never won a conference title.

That would be the AAC 2.0.

So if that’s the best case you can make, then I REST my case.

And in one fell swoop 1927 fell from Heaven…

1 Like

I can’t imagine anyone considering those four small and historically AWFUL brands as being capable of keeping the ACC “neck and neck” with the Big 12.

As I said, AAC 2.0.

1 Like

The Cal/Stanford/SMU additions certainly increased the ACC’s chances for survival. In other words, the chances are smaller that Wake Forest/BC etc. meets a fate similar to Washington St and Oregon St.

However, we don’t know how many teams the ACC will lose to the SEC/Big 10. Could be more than four…

And we don’t know whether some ACC schools, when faced with the loss of big brands, would rather jump to a great basketball conference (the Big 12) than stay in a watered down ACC.

So what the ACC finally looks like is yet to be determined. But I’d agree the chances are impoved that the ACC will continue to exist in some form.

1 Like

No one disputes that it’ll continue to exist.

My whole point is that it’ll exist in a form that is so much less valuable and so diminished compared to the P3 that SMU will end up having purchased a lemon, with no money to show for it.

HARDLY a brilliant move.

And if the ACC adds the brands that 1927 just suggested to replace the far larger brands that will be leaving….they’ll literally be the AAC 2.0.

Those are four of the smallest and historically suckiest football brands in the FBS. UConn wasn’t even good enough for the AAC.

Guessing what the new media rights contract$ will be 5 years into the future for the Big12 and/or the ACC is a total crap shoot. Truthfully, no one knows.

But it is well known that if the ACC loses more than four teams (its four largest brands are already rumored to be looking for a way out), then ESPN can renegotiate its TV deal.

A deal which, without those big brands, will undoubtedly be WELL BELOW the Big 12.

That pretty much describes UT and TAMU.

1 Like

your view is distorted about the current Big 12 G5 adds being SUPERIOR options…this year’s records and attendance is backing up my point…

UCF is a growth stock…they are the youngest brand in all of the Power Conferences

Houston is the most apathetic program in all of the Power Conferences…our own alums avoid our games like the plague

Cincinnati is a solid program but suffers from the same ailments as Houston, albeit they have more history

BYU is a A BRAND…I’ll give you that.

UCONN is a also a brand EVERYONE knows and would fit in perfectly with the ACC. Plus, they would elevate ACC basketball.

Tulane is a former SEC member. Just won a NY6 Bowl and could play in another one this season, meaning they will be a more successful G5 football program than Houston. They are also an academic juggernaut and would fit in nicely with the ACC

USF is a growth brand, like UCF, but they are superior academically and if they secure their On Campus Stadium …they are a no-brainer

Memphis is eerily similar to Houston and Cincinnati, in terms of brand

…Or the ACC could try to convince current Power Brands Cincinnati and West Virginia to slide over to the ACC (where they’ve always wanted to be), leaving the Big 12 scrambling to find 2 replacements.

That brilliant trio expansion coup gave them a bunch of options moving forward IF/WHEN some ACC schools leave

1 Like

https://x.com/DouglasTS/status/1717458713219633309?s=20

Schultz said that the CFP is going to distribute funds on a per school basis and as long as they can get their P5 per school share, they are fine with the CFP, which means he will agree with the new proposed playoff model of 5+7.

The PAC2 are not getting $300M from the CFP.

He doesn’t want the CFP to look at OSU and WSU as G5s. If that is the case then they better go independent.

Right, if you don’t think aggies are inbred, you don’t know any aggies.

Some good dancing here. UConn and Tulane in the ACC? LOL.

UConn football is a brand everyone knows. As bad football.

Fritz finally grew a football team that can win. What if he moves on? Small stadium. Basketball??

SMU raised $100M within a week of being selected as an ACC member. That covers a lot of missed media funds.

1 Like

FIFY.

They weren’t even good enough to be a part of the AAC. And now you’re going to elevate them to the ACC??? Come on now.

Football drives this, NOT basketball. If basketball did, then UConn and Gonzaga might already be in the Big 12.

USF and Tulane also suck as FOOTBALL brands, despite Tulane’s recent uncharacteristic success.

In any event, their attendance, fan base, etc. make them VERY SMALL brands.

They won’t come close to making up what the ACC stands to lose.

I think that most people here EXCEPT you understand that.

Tulane was in the SEC??? Hey listen. I’m over HALF CENTURY old. And that was before I was born.

That’s ancient history in college football.

Totally irrelevant.

I think people are misconstruing the fact that the ACC and Big 12 are NOT P2 Conferences.
They will do what they will need to do to survive as that P3a and P3b tier.

The ACC JUST PROVED they will add SMU, Stanford and CAL (far West) to survive.

IF…BIG IF…schools leave the ACC, they will go after West Virginia and Cincinnati first and then, if those 2 aren’t obtainable, they will add schools from my list… to survive.

Neither the Big 12 or ACC thinks they are in the P2 tier.

The ACC isn’t going anywhere!

1 Like

West Virginia and Cincy will NOT go to the ACC.

PRINT IT!!!

At that point, they won’t want to join a conference that will be of no greater value than the one they are already in, and moreover, will almost certainly be of LESS value than that they are already in thanks to the loss of all the biggest brands.

If anything, when (not if) the ACC blue bloods leave, other ACC mid-bloods will see the handwriting on the wall and go to the Big 12.

At that point, the ACC will be AAC 2.0.

2 Likes

Dr Rick Progressive Commercial GIF - Dr Rick Progressive Commercial Dont Print The Internet - Discover & Share GIFs

4 Likes

WSU and OSU will not join the Big 12.

2 Likes

Well, that’s that!

If that ruling holds up on appeal, the PAC-2 will have plenty of money with which to compensate with MWC.