Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Nobody is saying this… perhaps you’re interpreting things incorrectly.

The ACC will be a power conference as long as it survives. That’s just a fact. They have valuable teams with or without the blue bloods to retain autonomy.

Even if the ACC disbands, SMU will be in a much better position to get reinvented to another Power conference, whether it be the P2 or the Big 12, just by being in a power conference now. That’s the point.

I don’t think that’s true either.

They’ll never be as big a brand as even the ACC tweeners will, which gives them little to no chance of being picked up when the ACC folds.

They certainly won’t be a big enough brand to be invited to the P2 and with TCU, UH, and other TX schools being opposed, they won’t get in the P3 either.

They will be left behind.

This is still going on? Damn some of you guys need to touch grass

4 Likes

This is incorrect. They are being supported by 2-3 big teams who have asked for unequal pay. You don’t do that if your conference is strong.

Pac12 leftovers can vouch for the small brand market size implosion.

As far as how successful they’ll be in the ACC. It’s hard to tell.

For one, they’re the only team in the ACC that’s in Texas, which helps recruiting. Secondly, they fit perfectly in the age of NIL, that’s a given.

I think they’ll be within the top half of teams in the ACC.

As far as getting an invite come next round of realignment, it depends on how much value they can add by being in the ACC. It’s possible they get left out. Who knows, but ultimately SMU has enough oil money to take those odds.

Notre Dame dude…

And yes, teams like Virginia, Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State, hell even Pitt (who used to be an actual blue blood), are strong enough brands to maintain autonomy.

Given that they won’t have any local rivals, I doubt it helps them that much.

How much interest do TX recruits have in playing BC, Wake Forest, Cal, Duke, etc in football?

Obviously being in a power conference helps them as opposed to being in the G5, but being in the ACC is probably not as appealing to TX recruits as being in one of the P3 would be.

I could be wrong about that, but given that SMU hasn’t had a ranked finish or even a G5 conference title since the death penalty, I am NOT skeered of them ever emerging as a force to be reckoned with.

It’s definitely a fair question.

SMU better hope FSU, Clemson and UNC stay in the ACC as long as possible because I’m sure recruiters will use those teams for leverage

That being said - Duke seems to be creeping up on everyone right now. They have Notre Dame this weekend. Will be interesting

FACTS, the brand loyalty of living the it in your youth is what makes college sports special. I don’t watch the NFL, NBA, etc.

1 Like

3rd Ward vs Law III “This Time it Ends””

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Classic!!

1 Like

The ancient Romans and Greeks might disagree.

1 Like

One thing I think we can be sure of is that it will not “end”. Multi-faceted arguments will be honed down to the one avenue that has any hope of victory, goalposts will be moved like knoxville 2022, and in the 2030’s the one sliver of the argument that a combatant got close to predicting will be hailed as clairvoyance and correct thinking.

Or maybe it will just end… who knows.

3 Likes

The great McMurphy has spoken.

The ACC blue bloods will be gone within three years.

2 Likes

https://x.com/BearcatMta/status/1707205925226848371?s=20

2 Likes

In the last video I posted, Brett McMurphy (whom I consider the single most reliable guy on conference realignment), says that the Big 12 will NOT take the PAC-2.

OR WILL THEY???

Doubt it.

I think the West Coast is pretty much decided at this point. WSU and OSU got really unlucky.

SEC = Captures the best football region in the country, and adding Clemson and/or FSU will cement their hold on the southeastern United States.

B1G = Pretty much have the central-northeast covered with 2 of the biggest west coast brands.

Big 12 = Has the south central region with a few to the left (four corners + BYU) and a few to the right (UCF, WVU, Cincy). It would make more sense to expand eastward vs. westward since the four corners are already far enough for traveling

ACC = pretty much have whatever the best brands remain on the east coast until they don’t while also having oddballs in Stanford, Cal and SMU.

There are a handful of teams in both the Big 12 and ACC that DO NOT intend to remain loyal to those conferences. There will definitely be some sort of bridge conference when all is said and done, but loyalty is definitely not associated with the bridge conference.

4 ACC Schools Linked To The SEC As Conference Realignment Talks Heat Back Up (msn.com)

1 Like

Swaim.

1 Like

You do realize thats what the existing ACC members WANT to happen!

They expanded to ensure thd conference doesn’t disolve and will be laughing all the way to the bank with all of the $$ they will pay the existing members for breaking the GOR before 2036.

Expanding was a giant dare!