Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Except it is ESPN/Fox telling the conferences…

1 Like

Lol. Why would WVU pay the exit fee to go to a conference with a lower payout.

1 Like

I believe the ACC payout is around 6-8 million more than the Big 12.

Power Five conference revenue for 2022 fiscal year

REVENUE APPROXIMATE PAYOUT PER SCHOOL
Big Ten $845.6 million $58.8 million - x
SEC $802 million $49.9 million
ACC $617 million $37.9 to $41.3 million
Pac-12 $580.9 million $37 million
Big 12 $480.6 million $42 to $44.9 million
5 Likes

Google says their deal is worth 35-38 million while ours is worth 31 million.

For decades of nickle and diming and scratching and clawing to make it by after the shengigans that left us out of the orginal Big 12, UH is not only on level playing field recruiting and on the field, but finally finacially has access to the P5 Brinks Truck. $8Millon to $40million a year is huge for UH Athletics!

9 Likes

The ACC has had multiple opportunities to take WVU. They’ve always declined.

1 Like

So…the logic is West Virginia gives up its spot in the Big 12 thus allowing the Big 12 to give an addition life boat to a PAC school (i.e. Arizona State or Utah) and then when the ACC implodes, Wes Virginia would have voluntarily made themselves G#?

2 Likes

Gotta go back to work… But I just heard them saying there are rumors about FSU, Clemson, UW and Oregon going to the B1G this week… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I wouldnt waste piss on the ACC if they were fully engaged in flames and begging for sweet relief from the burning. The ACC had 4 chances in the past to invite WVU over the likes of Boston College and Suckacuse, and they failed to be intelligent enough to grasp the value. Now the ACC is on life support and expanding with WVU now would just be an attempt to proactively backfill before FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA are poached. So why would WVU join that doomed league and leave the Big 12 only to then need to beg the Big 12 to let us come back in 2035-36…not only that but then we would be competing against the likes of Miami, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Pitt to get invited by the Big 12. Nope, the ACC had a chance to have WVU and they failed to be smart enough. Now they are desperate, but we arent.

15 Likes

From an opponent standpoint it would be far better for WVU to stay in the Big 12 and have Pitt, Louisville, Miami, and Georgia Tech to join us here, than for WVU to go to the ACC

7 Likes

B12 payouts will eclipse the ACC in 2025.

8 Likes

That was their total payout for ‘21.

The ACC’s media rights deal is 240 million annually, so around 17 million per school. And it’s locked in until 2036.

The Big 12’s media rights will balloon to 32 million per school beginning in 2025. So Big 12 schools should be getting somewhere around 50+ million each. That’s one reason Florida State is apoplectic. They can’t stand the idea that UCF will make more than they do.

7 Likes

Which is why FSU is kicking and screaming “not fair!”

Not only will the B12 eclipse the ACC in 2025 by close to $10 million per year, but the B12 gets another bite at the media $$$ contract negotiation apple again before the ACC does, and with an even better inventory to go to market with.

14 Likes

I figured the ACC heads don’t know much about the finer points of realignment. Heck I saw some posts mentioning UofH to get into Texas.

Envisioning the ACC breakup, Ten and $EC split the NC/VA teams, plus Clemson, Free Shoes, GaTech, and the U.

That gives XII both Pitt and Louisville to pair with WVU’s pod.

1 Like

Idk I can’t seem to find concrete data on what the real numbers are. I saw a different site that claimed their deal was bringing in around 400 million annually. People on another board seem pretty sure the ACCs deal was worth more than the Big 12 deal. Would be nice to find an article that just has both leagues numbers compared head to head.

Here’s one from Forbes. With ESPN and Fox the Big 12 gets more, and this doesn’t include the c. 40% bump of the new Big 12 deal.

1 Like

That’s why the ACC wants to expand so that they can renegotiate their deal

The problem is that there aren’t enough quality teams to select from. Sure, they could go after Oregon and Washington, but Oregon and Washington expect to be in the B1G.

What keeps the B12 stable over the PAC and ACC is that nobody really wants B12 teams. Maybe the ACC wants WVU, but it’s most likely to add some depth for a media / GOR renegotiation.

The other issue is that FSU and Clemson want out of the ACC. They want to be in the SEC.

College football landscape right now is pretty f****ed, and I just hope that the B12 doesn’t somehow get screwed in the end.

This is what happens when conferences have more power than the actual governing body that looks over them (NCAA). Everyone knows that the end goal is 2 superconferences, and everyone is fighting to get in them.

The B12 will be the bridge between what is the G5 conferences and the Power 2 conferences

Wow, I feel like these numbers were misrepresented in a previous thread I partook in (not on this board). Well good for us! Lol

Lemme simplify it for you…

Every conference commissioner…