2024-2025 Houston Cougars Basketball Season

Just a bit of over analyzing. lol

The coaches show is coming June 19 to the Houston area.

If youā€™re on time, youā€™re late.

Could KJ Jefferson be that Nate Hinton type dawg for us this season?

3 Likes

Love kids from Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.

When they finally get the resources, they really take off.

Iā€™m excited about both of these guys. Malikā€™s and Jefferson will surprise some people this year.

2 Likes

Methinks some teams are going to be pretty sore after games against the Cougarsā€¦

Sure. But Iā€™m talking about this season in the big 12 where itā€™s tough to be a great freshman out of the gate.

I mean UC has Tyler Betsey who is rated a few spots higher than Miller on 247 and 40 spots better in the composite, and my expectations of his contributions for UC is almost nothing. Unless youā€™re a 1 & done, itā€™s tough to count on freshmen in this league.

Uc brought in the 19th ranked class (freshman plus transfer) and the only guys I expect production from are the transfers.

Tough league to be a freshman in.

Tugler and Arceneaux are Sophomore and Junior, respectively.

1 Like

Just imagine the jump several of the players will make this year with another year in the systemā€¦ :grinning:

from the workout vid from yesterday, mercy has some kind of hand injury

I like both those guys. They need to make pretty big jumps coming off injuries to really be impact players tho. TA was a top 50 recruit who put up just 5 & 4 in his sophomore year. Tugler also struggled.

Guys improve in Sampsons system, that Iā€™m certain of.

My point was that this roster alone is good but not elite. Itā€™s the intangibles & the kelvin Sampson factor that makes them elite.

It wasnā€™t to sh*t on the rosterā€¦ more so praise the staff.

Itā€™s what I love about the way Sampson built the program. Zero 5 stars on the roster

Shead- 3 star recruit not in top 150 (I know heā€™s gone)
Francis -3 star
Sharp- 3 star
R. walker: borderline 4 star but 3 star in avg
Lath- 3 star
Wilson- 3 star
TA- top 50 4 star
Tugler- top 70 4 star
Jefferson- 3 Star
McFarland- 4 Star
Cryer- 4 star
Robertā€™s- sub 200 3 star
Miller- top 50 4 star
McCarty: top 70 4 star
Uzan- 4 star

Itā€™s a good mix of talent but still a lot of under recruited guys. I mean the guys who will lead this team this year maybe be Robertā€™s & Sharp. Kelvin built elite teams with out 5 star talent, now recruiting is really picking up, it could hit another level.

If you compare it to Kansas roster, on paper Kansas has way more talent. 4 star or 5 star at nearly every spot and yet Iā€™m takin Houston all day. Thatā€™s my point

1 Like

Sharp would have been a top 50 guy if he didnā€™t obliterate his leg and then reclass.

But I get your point. Guys make jumps when they get here.

Grimes had to leave Kansas. Underwhelmed there. Third team All-American here. First round draft pick.

Sasser was like in the 300s in high school. First team All-American and first round draft pick.

Shead was in the 200s in high school (mainly because he didnā€™t play big time AAU). First team All-American. And we will see where he gets drafted.

I think Sharp is the next All-American. But he would have been a lot higher in the rankings had he not broken his leg and then reclassed.

Iā€™d add Galen Robinson to that list too. Or the wing shooter who declared early (canā€™t remember his name). Or Fabian white.

Donā€™t care if they made the nba as much as i care they way developed and contributed to winning.

Mick turned Sean kilpatrick from an underrated 3 star into UCā€™s 2nd leading scorer all time behind the big O. I certainly appreciate that kinda development

I lowkey donā€™t like making video like that, posts like these (and the current debate on twitter with lj) is what motivates me to make themā€¦ because pure stats never tell the full story for our players

tugler had an amazing first year, he didnt struggleā€¦ he is an elite defensive anomaly. are you curious why he was all-freshmen team despite only doing 3pts per and missing the end of the season to injury? over guys like your beloved jizzle james, 5star brandon garrison who started for okstate (w/ way better ā€œstatsā€), or elmarko jackson (5star kansas 6th man)ā€¦ becuase anyone who put on actual film saw his impactā€¦ there is a vid on youtube by hoopvision (popular X&Os youtuber) that has 400k views talking about why we are so good on defense, there is a section just dedicated to tuglerā€¦ PS we were on pace to be the greatest defense ever in kenpom HISTORY till he got hurt

this falls in line with your comment about ā€œyou dont look that impressive, you guys are just 6ā€™7 and 6ā€™8 in the postā€ā€¦ its evident you are looking at a piece of paper and not filmā€¦ tugler is 6ā€™7 with a 7ā€™6 wing spanā€¦ he moves like a wing/guard, but has a wing span longer than most 7ā€™2 centers

TA did struggle some but to a similar less extent he is a defensive guy, his value wont shine as much on the stat sheet but i wont deny there is room for offensive improvementā€¦

2 Likes

Their transfers AJ Storr and Zeke Mayo werenā€™t highly rated out of HS!!! Lol

1 Like

Day 2 - off season workouts

3 Likes

It was great to win the conference title in our first year on board, and I think we will be in the hunt this year along with four or five others.
But my thing is being right for the playoffs. That is all that matters to me.

4 Likes

McFarland has developed a little base in his year. Thatā€™s good news.

2 Likes

added some notes, in boldā€¦ we arent some talentless bunch that you are trying to portray

3 Likes

Thatā€™s true. And in the big 12 means if you are in the top 3 you have a real shot at winning it all.

2 Likes

Already good lord Iā€™m tired of all of our injuries every year