2024-2025 Houston Cougars Basketball Season

i meant before he joined cincy at utah valley… last year not the season that just passed

2 Likes

@pesik Derik Queen is a good example.

I do think the stars have to align for us to get a 7 footer.

UCONN has become a destination for big men. With the development of Clingan. And Adama Sanogo was developed there

And then:

*Duke
*Kansas
*Alabama
*North Carolina

Would be schools with more NIL, have a better recruiting pitch to a 7 footer we’re interested in

2 Likes

Bo Outlaw, could be added to your list and along with 6-3 center Ollie Taylor

Nah… The problem with UH these last few years hasnt been lacked of height. Its either depth or starting two non shooting big men together like Francis and Roberts who have a non existent game outside the paint!!!

1 Like

lack of size played a role 2 seasons ago when we lost to miami… l

That Miami team we lost to wasnt that big in the middle. We lost because lacked of depth with only 7 players playing regular minutes and they got hot from outside and couldnt match their fire power.

1 Like

exactly the point of why we lost… we couldnt punish miami for being small…playing small is a double edged sword … it was just a regular sword for them…they bullied us in the post … it was even rebounds despite them playing 4 guards and a 6’7 forward … they were able to take advantages of the mismatches of having guards out there, we had zero advantage having 2 bigs out there

an extreme example of my point: if a team put 5 6’3 guards out , they take advantage of the bigs not being able to guard the 3pt line and they hit 13 3s …we went even on the boards and had 8 total post points… the issue isnt the inability to match their 3s… its that you didnt punish them for putting 6’3 at the 4 and 5

2 Likes

My point on the over 6’8 thing was more so that kelvin has consistently survived without prototypical centers. It wasn’t meant to be negative. More so that Sampson knows what works for him and while the programs may value height, he values athleticism and length.

Sampson consistently develops under recruited guards and bigs into be program changers.

I personally am not a fan of 6’11 or 7 footers. Most aren’t skilled or athletic enough. UC’s best bigs historically are under 6’10… which is why I loved the Dillon Mitchell pickup. Tre Scott, Justin Jackson, Gary Clark, Danny fortson etc all undersized guys who were athletic and had a nose for the ball

https://x.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1797395996713914636

Mercy Miller has arrived on campus

7 Likes

You do know Houston has 3 guys on their bench that will probably be in the NBA in the next 2-3 years?

10 Likes

It depends on the system too. UConn definitely don’t doesn’t get hurt by having 7’0 footers because they have enough versatility elsewhere. I just wish for UH J’wan could stretch the floor

You don’t think this over thinking it a bit?

@UHCoog some people may not be huggers, lol.

After watching the video again.

Just looking at body language, you can tell McCarty is more comfortable

Why? He’s been on campus alot more. He knows the staff better

Maybe. Or maybe Mylos is just naturally more reserved.

@UHCoog possibly. Looking at OU basketball on YouTube. He was the one who spoke to the media all the time.

Anyway not a huge deal.

Don’t forget Sasser was playing on a pulled hammy from the AAC title game and Shead was beat up as well. They also shot out of their minds from 3.

4 Likes

https://x.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1797453086157680754

The whole team is on campus

6 Likes

Emmanuel Sharp wearing a similar shirt that cryer was wearing a couple months ago.

I really hope they sell them

The top 4, maybe 5, are legitimately fighting for 1 a 1 seed. Us, Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor and maybe Arizona all have a chance at a 1. All 5 have appeared in early top 10s. I’ve seen all 4 of the top 4 in top 5s.

All this to say, I expect it to be a dog fight to win it. Hopefully we have what it takes to repeat.

9 Likes