TCU and Gary Patterson has an Issue Today

Back in the '70s and '80s we used to call each other that word, along with slang words about Italians, Poles, Germans and every other nationality we could. It was common and no one was ever really upset about it, if they were we quit doing it out of respect for our team mate. That said, Times have changed, we cannot do that any longer. Coach P needs to watch his P’s and Q’s like the rest of us do. I respect the statement he made last night. Time to move on!

That is Not True in any sense. I have been around people that curse like a sailor, but it hasn’t once make me allow the word to “slip out”. We have control of words that come out of our mouths. BTW, all black kids don’t use the derogatory slang, so they should not be included in the foolish talk.

4 Likes

Nothing burger.

It bothers me too that players use the n-word all the time. I’d ask them to stop using it also.

3 Likes

Agreed, Gary should take control of that locker room: issue suspensions for using derogatory slang to punish or pull scholarships.

2 Likes

We never worried about political correctness east of the Hudson River.

I don’t think suspending players for using the n-word is going to go over well with the players or recruits. I would have a meeting with the players talking about derogatory language and suggests using bruh or dudes during football activities rather than the n-word but it has to be a buy-in by the players.

If it’s a team effort then the team will try hard to adhere to it but being a dictator on something like this is not going to go over well.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting GPs tweet.

Nice tweet and explanation. To be clear, GP used the “N” word in explaining the conversation to other players with what went down (some players were offended by that), and he used the word to explain to the player being reprimanded for using the “N” word in team meetings. GP should have just referred to it as the “N” word versus using it exactly as the player had in team meetings and for responding to the question from his players that he hadn’t called his player the "N’ word.

I do hope GP and their AD bans the use of all slurs including the “N” word from use at any time being part of their program. It’s the only way to get all on the same page and playing by the same rules. Having a slur being used by some and not by others because of race, ethnic group, or gender, or some other designation is just setting themselves up for these types of situations and uncomfortableness among the troops. All should play by the same rules, no exemptions. Its a team made up of 120 some odd individuals, they need to be pulling in one direction under the same objectives, vision, and most importantly rules.

Snow, you kind of said what I said but as an official policy rather than a team understanding. I disagree with someone’s previous post that said players should be suspended for using the n-word.

In an environment where using derogatory language is not acceptable and everyone agrees to it, some words are going to slip out. Hopefully a player or coach will recognize it and immediately apologize which will probably defuse the situation.

We are talking about football which is an intense sports that brings out all kind of emotions.

1 Like

Snow:

GP and the AD don’t need to ban the word. It is not up to them. The word is banned. Period.

This should be a non story and good luck to mr disgruntled finding a job!

3 Likes

He just better be happy he wasn’t wearing an OAN shirt on his own time!

8 Likes

So when the players use it they should be removed from the team

it would depend upon the factors.

I wrote of banning the word. I am not recommending an appropriate punishment either for staff or students.

In general, I believe that in these types of incidents that the discipline should be the least severe to get the appropriate change in behavior (for a first offense).

It is a football team rule at TCU that the word isn’t allowed at least in team meetings and probably more so. It does appear to be a team divisine issue if some can get away with using it and others can’t. Obviously it didn’t go over well that a 60 year old white coach used it twice to explain once what the issue was with the player originally and secondly to explain how it was used to a larger group of players. This is after a player was called out for supposedly using it quite a bit in a team room setting.

On another thought, the NCAA Athlete Rule Book and most University Student Books are actually pretty strick set or rules on most fronts. I wouldn’t be surprise if rules are in both against racial slurs and those rules just need to be enforced. Either way, you really cannot have two sets of rules in a team environment it will never work.

Also, this is at least the 4th similar type incident this summer from the Utah OC with an incident from several years ago that was called out by a former player, the WVU OC which was a pretty gray and unclear, and with the OSU HC who wore a tee shirt from a politically right news org that is on record with being anti-BLM and now the TCU headcoach who was reprimanding a player for saying the word in team meetings.

Need to be clear about the rules and apply to all to make it work going forward in a 120 person team environment. No double standards should exist.

1 Like

If a player uses it, he’s suspended for a game. If a coach uses it, his paycheck should reflect it. That’ll get both parties listening, and make sure no one is using it. I can’t stand the word with a passion.

2 Likes

That sounds good, but probably should tier the penalties with making them worse by offense. Very ugly word. Many AD programs have 3 strikes rules with major issues.

2 Likes

Same. And I will add on to what you said: calling a woman the derogatory female dog name, any offensive racial slang, a anything other than addressing the person by name the first time…punishment of some sort…game or games or off team!

1 Like

I grew up in a rough neighborhood, spent time in the Navy so I am no prude but one word I would never use and am disappointed when I hear young men use it. Yet, I know it is common. m-----f-----. It is degrading on so many levels.

3 Likes

And before we suspend a kid or remove a coach let’s remember due process.

3 Likes

Getting exposed to one of life’s cruel realities always sucks. And this reality is that rules are applied differently to different people. And even better it’s a pretty subjective thing. Coaches/bosses decide who they like it who is more valuable and apply the rules differently.

It’s kind like the old story from Jimmy Johnson when he coached the Cowboys. When a fourth stringer fell asleep in a meeting he was cut on the spot. When asked what would happen if Michael Irvin did that Jimmy told them he’d get him a cup of coffee, wake him up, and all him politely to pay attention

Everyone runs into this unfortunately. It’s one of the downsides of working/playing with and for humans.

1 Like