Replacing The UT-OU Game at the State Fair

C’mon now, I’m a big UH fan but when you think about college football and LSU, Alabama, Michigan or Notre Dame, the next 20+ teams that come to mind certainly DO NOT include UH.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’ll ever have a “classic” type of neutral site game played on a schedule. Although I’d love to see it happen. I don’t know why but I think its because we represent a city rather than an undefined region. And while I think it would draw viewers I don’t think it would draw a full house fans-wise. Then again, maybe playing outside of Houston is the key to our attendance woes.

1 Like

The Coogs played SMU in 1979 and won during the State Fair. We had a great time, game and fair…

2 Likes

The coogs played smu at the cotton bowl during the state fair in 1979? Looked it up. 1979 game was in Houston.

1 Like

Maybe the State Fair was in Houston and Joe was too drunk to remember it.

Oops, how about 1978. Anyway Coogs beat the ponies during the State Fair in the Cotton Bowl stadium…

1 Like

Yeah that one matches up. Attendance according to wiki is 64k+. That must be a good memory. I can’t ever see another cougar v pony game matching up to that attendance #.

OU/UT at The Cotton Bowl is an institution. Nobody else could put 92,000 in that historical dump every year.

Arkansas and Aggy have played at Jerryworld for the last several years trying to prove SEC plays in the market. That game is a joke. Half empty stadium and nobody cares.

1 Like

I was at that game!

I have a memory of a Coog defensive player (Wilson Whitley??) who slammed into the SMU QB who was attempting to pass, ripped the ball out of the QB’s hands, then flattened the QB on the way to a Coog TD. Can’t say for sure if it happened in this game, but it was a spectacular defensive play.

1 Like

The State Fair is a “Dallas” thing. There is no way they are ever going to have the University of Houston in their head-lining game. I am hard-pressed to see Texas or OU moving their date/location anyway.

I’m still trying to figure out who the 5th former SWC member is
UH, BU, TCU and Tech are the 4 I come up with since we are replacing UT /Ou I’m assuming UT isn’t t included

they why would we want to be there?

Until we can prove we will show up for our own home games consistently there’s a better chance of me waking up next to a supermodel tomorrow morning. I guess it’s fun to discuss on a fan board but until our fans show up regardless of the opponent, the time of the game, and the humidity percentage it’s just a pie in the sky dream. Just this week there have been numerous posts from one of our own talking about how they used to have season tix at one time but not any longer b/c the heat/humidity was too much to bear. I wish I had the answer to get more fans out believe me I do but I think a lot of our posters have a very mislead idea of where we are truly at as a fan base. All any one of us can do is come out to every game we can and do our best to invite and encourage others to come too. I believe the vast majority of the posters on this board do a great job of that. It’s the incessant excuses of why others don’t come to games that we have to overcome to truly become a national program who might one day actually be considered for an annual neutral site game. Sorry for the rant but I’m just tired of all the reasons people post why they don’t come out and support our guys. Our collective mindset needs to start changing.

4 Likes

Oklahoma State pwas a charter member and there for about a decade

You spoke the truth. I hope we turn the corner and get our attendance up, but even in the SWC we only had great crowds when UT, aTm, and Arkansas brought hordes of fans.

I am getting closer to the time I will not be able to make it to games as are so many of us in our 70s and up. Let’s just hope our students take up the torch after they graduate.

6 Likes

LOL! I don’t think that you’ll have to worry about that ever happening.

Yep, what Mike said .
Go Coogs …beat tt
Cougaren
Class of '72 &'78

The Cotton Bowl Stadium is a dump and we don’t even have the fanbase to half-fill it. Are we just aching to cosplay as Rice fans for a weekend?

1 Like

While sitting in a coffee shop outside the Alamodome I was beginning to wonder if I was going to see anyone in red under 60 walk by.

3 Likes

This is literally the dumbest post I have read this season. Fortunately for you, we are in week 2.

1 Like