OT: You can choose 4 schools from the ACC to join the Big 12

Why isn’t espn extending their contract?
Again espn is driving this. They want to kill the acc like they tried with the BIG 12. No more acc? It is one mouth less to feed. They add power schools to the sec and it solidifies their product.
IMO the acc is already dead. I would not be surprised that we hear an announcement a la mad cows u located in Austin and okie type time line. I think both FSU and Clemson are awaiting others to join their “renegades” club.

That’s what I’ve been saying

ESPN is hoping that FSU and Clemson can get out along with UNC.

Once those schools leave, ESPN will not renew the deal, and no other network is going to be willing to pay the remaining members 30-40 million a piece. If the ACC can’t find a media deal to satisfy all its members, then that conference is toast (almost identical situation as the PAC)

The lucky 4-6 remaining members will get invited to the Big 12 and will continue getting paid like Power Schools. The unlucky members will be forced into the G5 and will be making fractions of what they used to make.

Not having to pay schools like Boston College, Wake Forest and Syracuse 30 Million+ will break even the cost to pay FSU/Clemson in the SEC.

This is what ESPN wants. To get rid of the non-revenue schools in order to pay the revenue-generating schools.

3 Likes

I wonder if we went to an ACC forum if the fans from the schools there are creating thousands of posts about how lucky they will be to get a golden invitation to the Big 12.

I’m thinking…that’s not happening.

I’m guessing you’d find that PAC schools were the same way…UNTIL USC and UCLA were gone.

At that point…what choice did the four corners schools have but to take a Big 12 invite?

Same thing here. You probably won’t find a lot of strings on that…UNTIL FSU, Clemson, and possibly UNC and UVa are gone.

At that point…anyone that doesn’t want to make less will be hoping for a landing spot in the Big 12.

Exactly…

I’m not saying that all the ACC schools are just going to be kicked out of the Power/Autonomous ecosystem; I’m merely saying that the ecosystem is going to change.

Unfortunately, there’s going to be a few teams in the ACC that get the Wazzu/Oregon State treatment.

That being said, if it weren’t for that extension option, then this would be an entirely different story

I listened to a couple of talking heads at lunch today.

They said that IF FSU or Clemson can figure a way out before June 30th (that is to say, before Califord and SMU become members), then the # of teams will drop below 15 and that will trigger ESPN’s re-negotiation clause.

The ACC had better hope that neither school wins a summary judgment, gets a declaratory judgment, or settles before that date, because if so…then it’s ALL OVER for the ACC.

A new media deal without the biggest brands is going to BLOW CHUNKS for the remaining schools, and send some of them to the ACC.

2 Likes

HOW IS IT ALL OVER???

Was it “ALL OVER” for the Big 12 when Texas and Oklahoma left- NO!!!
…and UT and OU are far bigger brands than FSU and Clemson

But it was ALL OVER for the PAC when it lost its two biggest brands, and FSU and Clemson have bigger attendance than either USC or UCLA.

The same is likely to happen to the ACC if it loses even one of those before June 30th.

At that point, any “re-negotiation” from ESPN is sure to be lower.

@UH1927
@uhlaw97

Pretty funny how i was once agreeing with UH1927, but I’m more in alignment with uhlaw now. However that’s mainly because new information has been presented as apposed to 1-2 years ago.

The Big 12, PAC-12, and ACC all are under diffierent circumstances in regards to their future.

First and foremost, the PAC12 essentially killed itself. Their media deal already expired, so it was Kliovkoff’s job to find a new one. They failed to do this because the Big 12 took the last available media deal in the market. The PAC12 could’ve survived if they expanded with a few Big 12 teams before the Big 12 expanded with UH, UCF, BYU and Cincy. Either the PAC12 or Big12 would’ve survived, but it would NOT have been both.

Secondly, the ACC still has an active GOR in place. The problem is that the GOR isn’t technically forceable if there’s no media deal to pay the members. As of today (literally right now), the ACC has no media deal for the period of 2027-2036. ESPN has the CHOICE/OPTION of renewing that media deal which they’ve yet to do. Why?

@UH1927 I ask you - why do you think ESPN hasn’t extended that media deal through 2036? What’s the hold up?

LEVERAGE…No reason to show your hand until you absolutely have to.

1 Like

If FSU, Clemmie and UNC leave, then Espn’s offer after 2027 will likely be considerably lower…maybe in the high 20s…say 27 or 28 mil each…Still P4 numbers, but considerably lower than the other 3 P4 leagues…THAT is when Big 12 gets their targets to jump…If i am Yormark, i am asking Duke, Virginia Tech, Miami for sure and a 4th school best fit from NC State, Louisville or Georgia Tech. and off we go to P3 land with 20 members…

Funny…UT & OU left the Big 12 and ESPN offered MORE money to the conference.

Fact is , none of us know what is going to happen.

ESPN may want to keep the ACC together.

1 Like

Don’t bet on a repeat of what happened in the Big 12.

Look at what subsequently happened with the PAC.

That’s the most recent precedent and the best analogy for what would happen to the ACC if it loses its biggest brands. Much like the PAC, there are no teams out there that would add value, and many of the schools in that conference simply have too little value.

The ACC added CRAP brands like SMU with NO value to try and survive.

Given that, if they lose their big names…they WILL lose value. NO WAY ESPN ups their offer to a conference that has no/low value teams that NO P4 wanted like Califord and SMU…nor for that matter to brands BC, Wake Forest, and Syracuse.

And if they try to add G5 brands…that’ll just make it worse because the few G5 brands that truly deserved to be P5…already joined the Big 12.

PRINT IT!!!

As I’ve told 92010 a bunch of times…nobody knows for sure what’s going to happen…but most people have a pretty good idea…and most of the talking heads I hear on line are predicting something more like what I’ve said than anything else.

The PAC had a Big 12-sque deal on the table…THEY PASSED!

ESPN did value them and make them an offer.

Why wouldn’t they do the same for the ACC.

Even if 2- 4 schools leave the ACC, they will still be valued close to the Big 12 which currently contains ZERO Blue Bloods in Football and One in Basketball.

1 Like

No, Apple made them a CRAP offer, and they folded.

ESPN made them an offer, and they stupidly wouldn’t take it, asking for WAY MORE than they were worth. ESPN wisely told them NO WAY JOSE!!!. YOU AIN’T WORTH IT!!!

Why wouldn’t the ACC get a comparable deal after its big names leave? Simple.

Because what’s left of the ACC after you lose the three or four biggest brands…SIMPLY AIN’T WORTH CRAP!!!

It wasn’t worth that much to begin with, and they made it worse by adding three brands that even the Big 12 didn’t want (Califord and SMU). That should tell you just how LOW VALUE they would be minus the big names.

So no. There will be NO bigger or comparable offer when those big brands leave.

It will CERTAINLY be smaller…more than a G5, but less than now, and significantly less than the Big 12.

You might literally be the ONLY person out there that thinks they’d get a comparable TV deal without those big names than they’d get with them (and for the record, even WITH them, they were making less than the Big 12). It can’t get the same or better. ONLY worse, given the loss of value.

That will, of course, entice a bigger exodus.

1 Like

What I find highly interesting is the fact that Apple nor Amazon have jumped into the college sports business. espn has been for sale for a number of years now but none of these giants have been publicly after them.

Duke
NC State
Va tech
Louisville

Probably because their shareholders are afraid to, and they aren’t experts at sports media.

That’s why they only offered the PAC a performance-based revenue structure where the good teams make lots of money in a season, and the bad teams don’t.

Currently, CFB isn’t a good fit for Apple’s balance sheet, but in the future I agree that the Apples and Amazons of the world will jump in

Maybe they know something we don’t know., probably ran a AI program on sports media rights ask the questions will it be a wise thing to pursue media rights of CFB ! AI answered …Nope :rofl:

Would not be surprised to see them skip running an AI program on sports media rights and just create an entire AI league. Just computer generated players and plays. No player salaries, disputes, arbitration or insurance.

1 Like