OFFICIAL: Introducing your brand new BIG 12 Conference!

You now have 5 states with Big 12 only P5 schools and their political pull to keep Big 12 alive in some form if BIG and SEC try to completely break off in the future. Before expansion the Big 12 only had 2. Good strategic move by Yormark.

4 Likes

Sweet 16

2 Likes

The Big 12 never stopped punching, and they’re out of the grave

2 Likes

We got pretty lucky sneaking in as one of the last G5 teams to be promoted. With the leftovers of the PAC (?) and strife in the ACC, we might see a long period of consolidation of former and current P4 teams.

4 Likes

I like that idea, and I think the ACC gets raided much earlier than 2036.

If the goal is to eventually get to a 20 team league, I’d LOVE to add Pitt, Louisville, VaTech and Miami.

Pitt, LVille and VaTech would solidify the Ohio Valley market, bring good basketball and make for a heck of a rivalry round table for WV and Cincy.

Miami would be the best add to bring a FL rivalry to the conference … plus Miami has the NIL money and the vibe that BY likes and wants to capitalize, as well as a large TV market (hello South America!).

3 Likes

Come on down FSU Seminoles… Maybe bring Miami or another big name recongnized program with you to make it the Big 18.

Yeah, Miami is another program that could use a shot in the arm with added exposure being in the B12. Having a rival for UCF would be good too

1 Like

FSU won’t join the Big 12, but that being said… they’re trying so hard to leave the ACC right now.

To where?

Who is currently asking for FSU to join their conference because it’s not B1G or SEC….

2 Likes

New Mexico is Big 12 country…

4 Likes

Miami, Pitt, Louisville and either Virginia Tech or NC State for the next wave.

4 Likes

Good writeup of all the moves plus some history & $s

While the USC and UCLA decisions to leave started the Pac-12’s demise, last fall’s move by the Big 12 and Yormark to get an early extension of its media rights deals with ESPN and Fox was key.

That left a thin market for Kliavkoff and the Pac-12, which ended up with the streaming-heavy proposal with Apple that would have left its schools lagging behind a paywall and other Power Five conferences in revenue.

Duarte (paywall)
Arizona, Utah and Arizona State headed to Big 12 https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/conference-realignment-pac-12-big-12-18277505.php

The Big 12 may not be done, with speculation it could add two more schools, possibly UConn and Gonzaga as basketball-only members.

https://twitter.com/jasonscheer/status/1687632450074382336

2 Likes

I always wanted to go to the PAC as I felt that the City schools have more in common with each other than the rural schools.

I am not looking forward to going to Ames Iowa, Stillwater Ok, Lawrence or Manhattan Ks.

Going to AZ where I can play some golf and other activity, get some business done and have it ALL expensed for work!!! Hell yeah!!!

I was not very excited about the B12.

With the addition of Co, Az St, Az, Utah, BYU, Cinci, UCF, UH… This is super strong… and exciting. Just these schools look like a better P-5 program than most of the B12.

As I have said in the past. I wanted to go to the PAC-12. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think it would fold… (I’m getting old lol)

I don’t know who is in charge of getting these other schools here… But DAMN!!!

This Conference is gonna be rocking!!!

7 Likes

By basketball only he means nonfootball.

Except that there were never as many city schools in the PAC as some believe.

Many of those schools are rural, suburban, or small town.

Only Utah is an urban commuter campus like UH. And demographically, it is different.

There is no compelling reason why anyone should have wanted us in a west coast conference.

We always belonged in the big 12 with other TX schools.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1687874403252793344

2 Likes

We know that feeling.

2 Likes

I’m sure the poor kids attending Stanford and Cal will somehow get by in life.

3 Likes

I think BY is using the pitch, kill or be killed. Let’s see if it plays out for Louisville and Pitt. Your basketball has to be elite, so maybe Miami, but don’t know about F St.

FSU is going to sell itself to private equity and Saudi to try to join the SEC. It’s either going to make them the next Georgia or the next USF.

Pitt, Louisville, VT, and Miami would be awesome

1 Like