College Football Countdown - 56 Days

Can’t find even a pic on the net of that game.

Nope i was hoping i would find something. I never realized how close UH was to making the national championship game in 78 and 79. Gives me a whole new perspective

1 Like

There was no championship game then, just polls.

Oh shoot! I swear if there were a BCS you’d have to put UH in, those schedules were stacked

#76 Patrick Paul

Ladies and gentleman, Shasta III was one pissed off cougar, and so would be the Bill Yeoman led team in their 1st season as a full member of the Southwest conference. The Houston Cougars would go 10-2, winning the SWC in their first bid, dominating teams convincingly. Defeating #9 Texas A&M, another beatdown vs #20 Texas at Texas Memorial 30-0, #5 Texas Tech at Jones Stadium, and Miami. Unfortunately a loss to Florida in Gainesville, and #15 Arkansas (at this point i am wondering how the hell Arkansas isnt an official rival of ours), the Coogs would be co-SWC champions.

But talk about a “stacked” schedule, another season where the Coogs could have very easily ran the table for #1 overall. This would be good enough to earn another Cotton Bowl appearance and impressive victory vs #4 Maryland. Under the modern era, some could argue that was the National Championship game of 1976.

5 Likes

My first year to live and die with the coogs every game. I was in the 6th grade, my Dad drove us to baylor for the the first swc game, it was hot but the dr peppers kept me alive. :grinning: We had great seats on about the 40 and you could hear Singletary and Hodges pads pop as they made hit after hit. Later that fall I buried my head head in the back seat of the car and cried leaving Rice stadium because we lost to Arkansas. :grinning:

5 Likes

My Dad always says he blames Arkansas for breaking up the SWC… :rofl:

2 Likes

Looked it up 1984-1985! Yeah UH lost pretty handedly

#75 Jack Freeman

What can i say about this season? At least they put the schedule on light beer so you could get hammered. The Cougars would go 2-8, securing victories against Lamar and Tulsa.

2 Likes

Sorry my friend. It was Terry Elston to Yates High School’s own Eric Herring for the TD. I agree it was a very exciting game.

3 Likes

Terry Elston to Eric Herring

1 Like

#74 Josh Jones

The pre-SWC days were interesting, a modest season would have Houston in the Blue Bonnet Bowl. Demarcus Ayers or Eddie Foster, watching a cougar burst down the sideline never gets old. Fight for red and white!

lol, “I wonder if that woke up the cougar”. Color announcer talking about Shasta.

Funny enough, the youtube account that posted that was the referee running down the sideline.

A picture of a young Shasta III

1 Like

#73 Cam’Ron Johnson

Another near undefeated season, coogs would go 11-1 losing 0-7 to Auburn, in Alabama.

6 Likes

Coogs marched up and down the field, but fumbles in red zone did us in.

2 Likes

#72 Tank Jenkins

At least we owned florida state in the 1970s. Cougars would finish on a 4 game win streak to finish 6-4-1.

3 Likes

Beer pricing. I think we’re close to the top…though we only sell tall boys…right?

https://x.com/CFBRep/status/1803475068606874064

2 Likes

I should have been a TCU fan … LOL.

4 Likes

#71 Max Banes

Coogs had a 9-3 season, the attendance was reported to be a sellout for this game against Rice. I guess i severely underestimated the popularity of this rivalry back in the day.

This would mark the first year accepted into the SWC. However, the Coogs would not become an official member of the SWC until 1976.

6 Likes