Chris Pezman is out as athletic director

Saw this on Facebook. Is that true and if so why?

Not surprising. Hate to see anyone lose their job, but this was long overdue.
Let’s see if the new AD comes in and cleans house where it needs to be

9 Likes

I just saw this in an email news.

GET JEFF LUHNOW!!!

Imagine how he could do running a whole P4 college athletic department!

Bring him back to the H!!!

And for those that say he’s got a good gig with that Cancun soccer squad.

P4 AD > than a Mexican Soccer team in a league worse than the MLS!

3 Likes

He owns the team in Mexico, but also runs a team in Spain that just got promoted to the top division in Spain which is arguably the second biggest and best league in the world. I doubt he wants to leave that.

1 Like

I feel sorry for old Pez. He was a nice guy but not up to today’s demands on an AD. I wish him well.
Go Coogs !

3 Likes

Great guy and I too wish him well. I am sure there is lots going on behind the scenes we don’t know about.
Regardless I wish him and his family well.

2 Likes

I’m sure the softball scandal didn’t help

I know what it really was that brought this about and no one wants to say it….…that interview with Andy Yanez where he bullied him over a question……he never recovered the heart of the people after that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Rewind it for me. I must have missed that

Rest of the interview is normal/cordial, but there’s a weird moment at the 19:19 mark

1 Like

Thank you. He did seem to take that kind of personally. Not sure why. He acted like Andy was asking him, “why don’t you create a moniker?” When in fact the question was more passive, as in the importance of a moniker.

However…I doubt that was a reason for his dismissal. If so, it would be a silly rationalization. IMO

1 Like

So who can we steal that will do a good enough job that he will be stolen from us?

This might have been mentioned but remember the press conference where Tilman ignored him? That was heavy.

But how are any of these G5 options better than Pez?

He then provided an answer subsequently. He should have started there. The initial response was uncalled for.

That said, if your marketing isn’t working, it’s not the customers’ fault.

1 Like

After reading an old PaperCity article, I have come to the conclusion that there won’t be a scandal surrounding the fallout of the AD position. I thought something like that might come out, but it hasn’t. I even considered the possibility that positive publicity of the Love Ya Blue jerseys ends up in a lawsuit, but we would have heard about that by now. Pez seemed to be obsessed with the blue jerseys yet he never got around to fire more than a plethora of deserving coaches.

I’m not accusing Pez of doing anything, except being lousy at his job. That’s why he got fired. Simple as that. However, the main reason is because Pez saw Dana as a person with a clear plan, a focused vision and a fire to get it done. I admit that extension was too brutal to overcome. Pez was so sure a football breakout beckons that it costs him his job.

With the impact of COVID-19, as dissatisfying as it was, you almost have to set it aside. With that said, Dana hit a wall and it’s easy to question his desire. Frustration at how the oft interrupted season played out — or often didn’t play out — was palpable at times and Dana never recovered from Redshirt-Gate. Overall, Dana wasn’t a QB whisperer or offensive guru. He gone.

“WE’RE ON TRACK. I KNOW IT’S HARD THE WAY THE SEASON ENDED — IT’S HARD TO ACCEPT THAT. BUT HIS VISION IS GOING TO PLAY OUT THE WAY WE WANT.” — Houston AD Chris Pezman on Dana Holgorsen