Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

CMU’s gym has retractable seating to allow for enough floor space to host meets. Same as LSU, UCLA, Florida, Utah, etc…

Our arena is built in place. There’s no way to remove concrete walls. I guess conceivably to club section could be reconfigured so that it could fold up or be wheeled off but currently, FC cannot host a meet.

Here’s your Chipps venue with seats folded up…

Then we’ll hold events in the alumni/athletic center. I wouldn’t be that hard. Simply take down the indoor track, which is designed to be disassembled anyway.

As I said, that’s NOT an obstacle.

And spectators go where? And who buys the scoreboard? And where do you store all the equipment when not hosting a meet?

Part of the reason we want a football ops bldg is to have more space in the AAC for the sports that are busting at the seams with space limitations.

I’d love to see gymnastics at UH. Maybe it happens, but there are many other sports for women that would be much easier to start with little funding outside of scholarships.

They have bleachers for indoor track meets. In the past, they had them for volleyball as well.

It’d be the same for this.

As I said, not really an obstacle.

Other than costs common to all sports (coaches, uniforms, scholarships, locker room space), the only thing unique to this sport would be the cost of the apparatus, which isn’t exactly insurmountable.

No huge infrastructure requirements.

As far as men’s sports go, we could add tennis or swimming with no real infrastructure complications.

And our volleyball program went in the toilet when we played there and is flourishing in a proper venue.

Gymnastics in the AAC is just a guarantee for a terrible program unless you can make a promise on day one a venue specific arena is in the works.

1 Like

As for your first sentence, it didn’t seem to hold track and field back though (on the contrary, it was often in the top 20), and likely wouldn’t hold this sport back either.

As for your second assertion, I disagree given a) the amount of local talent, b) the potential of Simone Biles as a coach, and c) the total lack of local and even in-state competition for recruits.

Seems like the most natural fit of all for UH.

I think you’d be one of VERY FEW that would advocate for women’s varsity bowling over varsity women’s gymnastics at UH.

When are you going to learn that some posters here are never wrong? :sunglasses:

1 Like

This one is personal as it’s St John’s vs Kinkaid and tomorrow in the D3 soccer tournament, Case Western vs Hobart.

1 Like

I’m guessing he’d be a lone ranger on women’s bowling though.

Our administration has considered women’s gymnastics before.

Never considered bowling.

And the athletic center would be just fine as a venue.

We should start a men’s and women’s hockey program, build a brand new arena with retractable seats, and convert it to a gymnastics facility as needed. We could use all that extra money that we have laying around. :ice_hockey::goal_net: :crazy_face:

3 Likes
1 Like

Do they automatically play each other in the championship game in Vegas?

1 Like

So, does his give them enough money to poach 6-10 MWC schools and stay alive?

According to the Monty Show, it’s now clear that Stanford and Cal acted hastily.

Had they WAITED as Wazzu and OSt. did, they might have ended up better off financially than they did in the ACC.

1 Like

Lol

The travel costs alone are gonna be an eye opener

Next question is the liabilities for PAC2.

Wazzou crowd saw this coming.

Washington wants Apple Cup at Seahawks Stadium every year.
All kinds of fun stuff planned around it.

Reported $2 million + to Wazzou.
Like the idea w home/home gone but 50/50 split or no.

In light of huge AD $ problems.
Wazzou AD doesn’t not turn down $ in the bank w/out knowing this was coming.

Turn ‘em down flat, Cougs.

I agree with that but it doesn’t erase he fact that what SMU did was pure brilliance.

Now…if they had a hand in convincing Stanford, CAL to jump, and forgoe $$, so that it opened up a Power 4 spot for them then it becomes even more of a Genius move by the ponies!

Sure, taking no money with the promise of being left behind in an ACC that will surely be devoid of value in the future once the blue and mid-bloods leave is a really “brilliant” move, isn’t it?

Only in YOUR world Bro.