Baylor Stadium

Ban.

2 Likes

We might have done that to make them happy to get them here. In the big 12 , we prob do what we want and no kissing up to get Byu here.

We won’t be playing them on Sunday in any sport.

A few years ago when they visited Fertitta Center and won on buzzer beater I’m pretty certain we sold alcohol during the game.

Lol…of course, it’s one of the cornerstones of their Religion. They are Baptists…part of the Puritan side of Christianity.

They aren’t “supposed” to drink alcohol AT ALL and one of the biggest private Baptist colleges in the world probably shouldn’t be selling it, for profit.

Remember when Drayton McLane (Baylor Baptist)bought the Astros and he initially considered no alcohol sales in the Astrodome?

Then he saw the $$$$ signs and said “Forgive me Jesus and John the Baptist!”

Baptist preacher here. I have never, ever preached that the Bible calls for total abstinence from alcohol. In fact, I’ve never heard it preached in any Baptist church. The tradition of Baptist teetotaling goes back to our involvement in the temperance movement, over a hundred years ago. So, traditionally, Baptists don’t drink. There was never alcohol in my house, and I don’t drink to this day. Saves me a ton of money, and probably other stuff.

But…again, it’s not a key aspect of my faith. Just fwiw.

14 Likes

Wisconsin fans drink beer at the bowling alley.

1 Like

Appreciate the contribution, Jeff. As a Catholic I was not aware of that. I guess I should be. I spent time off and on in Stamps, Arkansas during my childhood when I wasn’t out of the country. And people in the burgeoning Stamps metro are probably 70% Baptist, 15% Methodist, 10% COC, and 5% other. I would have probably ended up Baptist but my dad had me baptized Catholic in South America.

We used to drive to Magnolia for mass. But I was never comfortable in the big city.

The good people of Stamps drink like fish but I thought they might be part of a radical off-shoot of Baptists.

3 Likes

Other things. There concessions were no better than ours and probably not as much variety. The did have chick fil a, Antoine’s and Rudy’s . I saw no escalators, I saw only 1 elevator on the visitor side but there might have been another. Those awnings don’t protect from the sun unless you are at the very top they do Helo hold in the noise . Their sound system had its awful moments too BUT the restrooms did have AC blowing . They aren’t near as aggressive checking upon entry it seemed. It did have a nice self contained stadium shop to buy gear that was air conditioned.

2 Likes

No beer. No dancing.

Just murder and sexual assault. We’re good.

5 Likes

THIS

I repeatedly hear people on our board dismiss the idea of one single person coming back to UH if they (new coach) have moral issues. There’s no doubt in my mind a large percentage of our season ticket holders would cash out if Briles or some wife-beater was hired. If our team had multiple players involved in rape they’d check out, too.

Both Baylor and Penn State demonstrated where their core values were when it counted. Hell, Penn State damn near did a pogrom when Paterno was fired. Both suspicious and immoral institutions IMO.
Sports over ethics.

C’mon now, I’m sure that there are rapes and murders happening on and around the UH campus every year as well, but we’re certainly not going to publicize it or brag about it.

Actually if there were rapes and murders at UH , it would be more highly reported . So I don’t think it’s happening as mush as elsewhere. I’m guessing some teams have hotties recruiting for them then etc like briles jr mentioned.

I’m talking about systematic behavior by groups of our athletes. I’m not sure where the problem is in the syntax.

In fact, I don’t know what you’re saying.

3 Likes

Baylor is something like 30% Baptist these days. Once the old guard dies out we’ll have beer. It was the same way with alcohol at tailgates and a host of other things. Always 1 or 2 generations behind.

Dave Aranda seems like a stand up guy. All the coaches and admin from the Briles days are gone.

The surprising thing is that Art Briles’ assistants got a pass but not the head guy.

2 Likes

Beer was sold at NRG when we played BYU

1 Like

When will the burning at the stake fade away? Another 1 or 2 generations? Maybe just keep it for tailgate parties.

This is where you and I part ways. Witches need to be dealt with extreme prejudice.

Lol! Money talks!!