Art Briles to

Art Briles to old folks home

Or this: In still another text, he told then athletic director Ian McCaw that Waco police would keep an incident involving a player “quiet,” a development that McCaw called “great.”

And McCaw went to Liberty U!

2 Likes

The whole thing was very unfortunate, and none of those comments show criminal activity by Briles. Why was that girl hanging out with “bad dudes” at a party, what did she say or do? All legitimate questions. From Baylor to Mt. Vernon to Grambling, not promotions.

Did he just get tired of coaching at Mt Vernon?

Sure, but a criminal conviction isn’t what’s keeping him from getting jobs. Briles even admits that he would have done things differently, so there’s really no debate that “he did nothing wrong.” His problem is that he hasn’t been able to overcome the reputational damage caused by what happened on his watch.

His mistakes and poor judgment helped create the toxicity that has attached itself to his name. Plus, he made the decision to take the money, rather than take another approach. That money came with a cost.

No he took Baylor’s money, to drop his suit defending his name. The cost was his reputation and name. So he got kicked to the curb. 100% his choice, probably allowed his assistants, and lots of other people to keep getting jobs.

His second chance is at Mt. Vernon everything else is trying to get a promotion. Which is fine unfortunately the market is still saying, “No thanks”. He made his choice, maybe he would’ve done it differently if he’d known he’s still be in CFB exile.

No they aren’t. Those are gross, defense attorney questions trying to excuse an assault.

2 Likes

Interesting interview that Jason Whitlock did with Briles after he stepped down from Grambling.

Not saying Briles was innocent, but seemed like Baylor used him as the scapegoat

There are other standards than “just legal”

1 Like

It’s what the Big fat buyout check was for. It sure wasn’t gratitude or charity.

The first 6 minutes of this really explains a lot IMO.

Probably not to get gang raped but what difference does it make?

2 Likes

The court of “public opinion” can be more unforgiving than the legal courts. Both can ruin a person, guilty or not. and sometimes you have to be found innocent in both. Briles was found guilty in the public opinion court and that is what matters.

Sometimes public opinion can be unforgiving, but I think Americans generally are forgiving people.

But that 365 sports link a couple of posts above discusses this, and I think they got it right: Art has never really owned up to what happened. Had he swallowed his pride and simply said, I screwed up. I should have been more attentive. There are things I wish i would have done, but didn’t. I will never make these mistakes again. i have learned.

Or something like that. But it’s never happened. And so he’s still very radioactive.

3 Likes

You would have made a good Gestapo or KGB officer 

"All we need you to do is admit this bad stuff we say you did and everything will be ok, all will be forgiven 
 oh, and we have these fine men here (goons) to help you remember. No, we don’t have any proof but these fine men will help you remember. So just admit what we say you did and then we will forgive you. Not happening. In this case, the goons were the BU BOD and leadership.

2 Likes

Mind boggling that an assessment like this could be made.

1. There was no criminal conviction 
 there wasn’t even a criminal charge. All cases against Briles and Baylor were civil (which are much easier to prove) and all but one against Briles have been dropped.
  2. “There’s really no debate he did nothing wrong”??? Really 
 because he wished he’d have done some things differently ??? Really??? That makes him guilty of something??? Can’t fathom how many things in life I wish I’d done differently, how many pitches I wish I had back; I guess I need to be locked up for life, but I’d like to meet you first 
 apparently you’re a “walk on water” type.
  3. “Hasn’t been able to overcome the reputational damage caused by what happened on his watch” 
 sadly, this is the closest to anything factual you’ve said with one giant exception. He hasn’t overcome Baylor’s destruction of his reputation that the Baylor BOD initiated in order to shift blame of hundreds of assaults that happened on **their watch".
  4. “Made the decision to take the money”. So I guess you’d criticize Applewhite for taking the money rather than “taking another approach”.
  5. Will you please itemize those mistakes and examples of poor judgement 
 something other than the laughable Pepper Hamilton “findings of fact” ???
1 Like

Totally false. Take the time to at least check the timeline. When the balloon went up at Baylor 
 after they had paid Pepper Hamilton to produce their sham called “findings of fact”, Ken Starr was demoted and Art Briles was fired. Since Briles or basically no one other than the BOD was able to see the “findings of fact”, he had no clue of all the accusations that would be forthcoming. His lawsuit came later after the allegations were made public. Briles and plaintiff lawyers sued Baylor to have the Pepper Hamilton report released which they refused and fought for years until a judge demanded they release it.
100% his choice? Give me some examples of how Art was going to verbalize to Baylor 
 NO, You Can’t Fire Me 

You’re entitled to your opinion. If you want him to represent your organization, then go hire him. I haven’t interviewed him and don’t need his services.

I don’t owe you any itemization or additional details - the facts of his situation speak for themselves. He’s unemployable as a college football coach right now. That’s it. You can deal with those facts, or you can just continue to rant and whatnot. Doesn’t matter unless you’re in a position to hire him.

4 Likes

Except in this case for the higher ups.